Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit  (Read 17189 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 10:10:36 pm »

I've met lots of people who like things that are Hip, but never someone who wouldn't be incredibly offended to be called a hipster. That, quite frankly, is ridiculous.
I mean, when people at the radio station ask what I play on my show, and I say "indie rock," they give me Looks. What the hell is that? There's like a competition, it feels like, among the DJs to prove how UnHip they are. "I really like Michael Jackson! *scrutinizes my face to see any hint that I don't like Michael Jackson, so the kid can call me an elitist hipster*" Any time we penalize someone for playing, you know, Tori Amos or whatever, we get accused of being Elitists. And it's like... Yeah. We're a college radio station.

The way you describe it, you guys spend more time scrutinizing your playlist than Clear Channel.

I'm not sure if I mean that as a compliment or not. You know as well as I do how bad the radio is here, and CC is a part of that.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 10:29:42 pm »

no, there are only like 3 rules. You have to play at least 3 new releases an hour (and this is waived if you have a show in a genre that we don't have "New Releases" for), you can't play the same artist 2 weeks in a row, and nothing "too mainstream." We are pretty lenient with the last one, until some kid plays 3 Dave Matthews Band songs in a row.

Based on talking to kids at other stations, we are pretty damn lenient.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 01:47:03 am »

Guns N Roses were awesome, Bon Jovi was hip.

It's probably that I am too young to appreciate the distinction, but I'm still trying to get my head around this one.

Inev: Fuck people who are going to judge you based on what you like and fuck people who spoil their own enjoyment by worrying what other people think.
Life Is Rad.
That's all you need to remember.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 05:32:13 am »

yeah, again, there is no way in hell Bon Jovi was hip.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 09:56:11 am »

I could see where you might think that, 'Nev.

I, myself, am barely old enough to remember when Bon Jovi was hip and I am nearly ten years older than you are but... there was a time, man.

There were times when people thought lead would become gold if you prayed over it properly, there were times when people thought the stars were but pinpricks in the sheet God threw over the sky to make the night and... Jesus Christ help us... there was a time when Bon Jovi was hip.

It needs to be remembered: it is not that mankind has physically evolved in any meaningful way in the last hundred thousand years, it is merely that we have accumulated knowledge and managed to pass most of it down smoothly from generation to generation...

Break that chain of intellectual custody and there is nothing different between us and cavemen.

It is only that unbroken chain of experience that has us not throwing rocks at elk.

It is only that unbroken chain of experience that has allowed us to realize that Bon Jovi is transcendently awful.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 11:04:21 am »

Well what I meant was: Guns N Roses were awesome?
Really?

*hides*
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 01:10:58 pm »

Well what I meant was: Guns N Roses were awesome?
Really?

*hides*

OH NO YOU DI'NT!

Appetite For Destruction was the slap in face we needed, in part, to realize just how awful Bon Jovi was.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »

No, see, again. To me something that mainstream-popular could not possibly have been "hip." If every goddamn kid on the block has a Bon Jovi cassette, that is not hip. that is the opposite of hip. Bon Jovi could never be hip the way bebop or beat poetry were hip. he just... does not fit into the way I understand that word.

the people you call "hipsters" today would not have liked Bon Jovi if they were in the 80's, but they definitely would have liked Bebop, or at least pretended to like it, if they were in the 50's.

Also, I am not big on Guns and Roses, but that is because of my own appetites (which I guess are not for destruction).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »

Guns N Roses awesome?  Whatever.  Bon Jovi anything but smarmy?  Yeah, right.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 06:57:11 pm »

I...

...I...

......I like Bon Jovi. 

And John Mellencamp. 

There.  I said it. 

*hides*
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 10:57:26 pm »

Sounds like there are battling definitions of what "hip" is. Is hip mainstream-cool, or is it counter-culture cool? At one point, I thought the latter. Now, though, I would think the former.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 12:28:58 am »

The trick is that (especially today) the turn around time for counter-cool being aped by the mainstream is fuck*ng quick. To me hip is the person who liked it before you did. There isn't a judgement inherent in this, but there are certainly plenty of people who like to be hip for elitist value.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 03:46:03 am »

There was a scene on Knight Rider, where Michael Knight was driving across the desert, and he was signing along to "When the walls come tumblin' down".

To a young me, he was never more badass than at that moment.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 03:09:34 pm »

Pedro's impression of Mellencamp:

"Small town small town, small town. 
Small town small town, small town. 
Small town small town small town, small town small town!
Small town, small town, small town." 

I think I just like his music because he seems like a nice person.  Kind of like Scott Bakula (although there's no denying his actual talent).  The Coug, Bakula, and Tom Hanks -- if I were having a bad day, those are the three famous people I'd most want to sit on my couch and eat ice cream straight from the carton with. 

Also, my mom has the biggest crush in the universe on Jon Bon Jovi. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 12:29:16 am »

I like John Mellencamp a lot. Some most damn near all of his early stuff was "Ain't it great to live this sucky beautiful life in this nowhere slice of awful heaven?" but the later stuff was a little bit different. There are no "Little Pink Houses" on Mr. Happy Go Lucky, for instance.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up