Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit  (Read 17251 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 12:44:46 am »

John Mellencamp is a rich man's Bruce Springsteen, intended for the discerning gentleman.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:02 am »

No no, Bruce Springsteen is the rich man's Bruce Springsteen.

John Cougar Mellancamp Finkelstein Finkelstein Finkelstein Mallowmar Shapoopie Pilkington is the guy who really cares which brand of truck he drives's Bruce Springsteen.

Bob Dylan is the college student who just discovered that the sixties happened's Bruce Springsteen.

Billy Joel is the soccer mom's Bruce Springsteen.

Bon Jovi is the woman in her thirties who camp-follows minor league baseball players's Bruce Springsteen.

One Springsteen, many faces, to paraphrase the devil in "The Last Temptation of Christ".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 03:46:21 am »

Bruce Springsteen is my Bruce Springsteen. And I ate my share of government cheese growing up.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 04:37:42 am »

Quote
Bob Dylan is the college student who just discovered that the sixties happened's Bruce Springsteen.

wait, what??

this seems... utterly nonsensical.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 04:56:36 am »

Same con, different generation. Good lookin' dude who can't really sing puts on some dusty blue-jeans, strings together some really simplistic "concern" into lyrics and laughs all the way to the bank. One Dylan, many faces.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2008, 04:58:16 am »

strings together some really simplistic "concern" into lyrics

Have you ever actually listened to any Bob Dylan?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2008, 05:00:27 am »

well, yeah, but saying that Bob Dylan is someone's springsteen... is just weird.

I've never thought of Bob Dylan as that kind of manipulator, but, ok.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2008, 05:28:09 am »

There is an old National Lampoon song that... explains this perfectly... two, actually.

"Out Behind The Barn" on the Lemmings album savages Dylan for what he was... a charmer selling whatever it was he thought the people wanted to buy at the moment... poetry, revolution, electric guitars... and when the going got tough, he jumped out to find Jesus and write country music and laugh at all the suckers.

But "What Were You Expecting, Rock and Roll?" off the National Lampoon White Album... really nails it for Springsteen, for Dylan, for Mellancamp, for all of 'em, for that blue-eyed fake-working-class fake-ass fake-bar-band fake-soul fake-country-rock bullshit but...

I can't find the lyrics online to use them to make my point.

Fuck. I'll try to dig out the CD and transcribe when I'm not already falling asleep from an eccessive dose of diphenhydramine.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2008, 03:33:04 pm »

So what, JL? You've dumped Michael J. Fox from the pantheon?

(The only one I can't vouch for is Bakula)

O!  I am shamed by my omission. 

Yes, of course Michael J (in my private thoughts he lets me call him Michael J) -- you should be there too. 

Although that is more of a crush, and JMC, Bakula, and Hanks are more like guy-buddies. 

Okay, I have a crush on Bakula, too.  He does his own stunts, people!  That is heck of sexy! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2008, 04:07:38 pm »

Bruce Springsteen is my Bruce Springsteen.

Mine too. And note: He does not have blue eyes.

I'm going to leave it at that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2008, 05:04:36 pm »

"Out Behind The Barn" on the Lemmings album savages Dylan for what he was... a charmer selling whatever it was he thought the people wanted to buy at the moment... poetry, revolution, electric guitars... and when the going got tough, he jumped out to find Jesus and write country music and laugh at all the suckers.
Hmm, the legend has him writing songs for Joan Baez, who encourages him to get out and perform them himself.

Mine too. And note: He does not have blue eyes.

I'm going to leave it at that.

Do the drapes match the carpet?

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2008, 06:25:54 pm »

Didn't I hear on the radio this morning that the artist formerly known as John Cougar was just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  (I almost wrote 'indicted')
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2008, 02:22:34 am »

Okay, a dude transcribed the relevant part of "What Were You Expecting, Rock and Roll?" as best he could... and it follows:

***

One! Two! Three! Four!

I've got streetwise lyrics
got a (unintelligible) t-shirt
got an attitude
an agent
got some blue suede shoes
I'm electric
I'm eclectic
got an IBM selectric

I'm a close approximation
of an uptown imitation
of a white-boy simulation
of the black man's blues
and I'm dealing with the devil
for a special tone of black-man suit

oooooh!
but what were you expecting
what were you expecting
what were you expecting, rock and roll?

***

And... that's what all of the above sound like to me. Hacky insincere attempts to approximate the idea of middle-Americanness and "I am so deep! I am so deep! Everybody loves me, I am so deep!" preciousness that makes me wanna smack 'em all in their respective grills.

That's why Axl Rose is so great... he is too screwed in the head to be anything other than a primal scream from the confused and pissed-off fifteen year old inside of all of us. There's a purity to it. I've never bought that Dylan was doing anything other than trying to be a star and then, later in his career, trying to be impish. Springsteen, only the first part.

See also: Lennon's savage rebuttal to Dylan's simpering "Serve Somebody" with "Serve Yourself" and... The Travelling Wilburies' (including Dylan himself!) wonderful deconstruction of the crass insincerity of Springsteen's calculated "Jersey shore noir" bullcrap in "Tweeter and the Monkey Man".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:26 am »

Odd how your teenage Rock-n-Roll fantasy crush is the only one who isn't a cynical commercial hack, isn't it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2008, 03:09:46 am »

Oh, I mean, I know it's only rock 'n roll...

But I like it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up