Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit  (Read 17230 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2008, 05:18:30 am »

I haven't seen Scrubs for a while but I have to stand by the first season as being hell-of awesome.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2008, 05:25:08 am »

Oh, the first season or so was kinda okay, by the standards of the half-hour comedy.

But by the end, oh man, just a big jump-cutty precious trainwreck cartoon of forced-hipness.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2008, 05:25:48 am »

As I say I haven't seen it in a few seasons, i think I tuned out sometime before the midget janitor became a regular character.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2008, 05:30:14 am »

I mean.

I feel like the difference is that there is some "twee" that is really goddamn good, and little-to-no Scrubs that is even kind of good.

I mean, one time I laughed at one of the jokes, I think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2008, 12:33:04 pm »

Go to Brooklyn. 

I miss when Brooklyn was normal.

I'm so old that... my best friend in Brooklyn has owned her co-op for about twenty years, and now she's become that old tenant who thinks all the new people are crazy because they want to, like, paint the hallways just because the color isn't fashionable.

Yes, those are my people now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2008, 02:50:23 pm »

Music that isn't ground-breakingly original isn't a problem.  In fact, it's a huge problem when a community refuses to hone ideas rather than just throw them away for being three months old.  However, when it's been a decade since a band has come along that doesn't sound like their parents, the ship is definitely sinking.

I have trouble listening to Radiohead for the same reason I have trouble listening to 1970s Miles Davis.  I find both less interesting than the more energetic music that preceded them.  In isolation, I think they're just fine.  But since they're sort of the last hurrah of their musical form being taken seriously, it's too depressing to invest in.

Of course if you really want to get depressed by musical history, get into the blues.  W. C. Handy did very well for himself, and John Lee Hooker got most of the respect and a good part of the money he deserved.  Other than that, early deaths and record label shaftings from start to finish.  Whenever I pirate music, I think about blues musicians and what record labels have been doing for nearly 100 years now.  When the big labels start folding, I'm going to be as happy as I was wen Reagan died.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2008, 03:03:40 pm »

Oh and similarly, Scrubs isn't that offensive of a show.  It's ten times smarter than Friends.  It could actually be good and interesting if they'd go ahead and make the two main characters gay.  Late life coming out could be a pretty good, relatively unmined source of humor.  The problem isn't Scrubs.  The problem is that Scrubs is one of the best comedies on TV.  And the problem is that Zach Braff has the same NPR-approved lite rock taste as my 60 year old mother.

Of course, for TV humor, we were spoiled rotten by the 90s.  The Simpsons, MST3K, Kids in the Hall, the Phil Hartman cast of SNL, Mr. Show, Futurama, Space Ghost, Bevis and Butthead (a lot more clever than I remembered), UCB, Seinfeld was innovative and funny even if it did wear out its welcome.

They really shouldn't have canceled Arrested Development.  Anyway, 2000s TV is about serial drama.  Everyone go rent The Wire.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2008, 04:06:24 pm »

Bon Jovi is the Led Zeppelin of Hair Metal.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2008, 05:47:24 pm »

That is... uh... wow.

I'm not even that big a Led Zepplin fan but I hurt for them.

That is some Harsh Judgement there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 06:02:19 pm »

I was really really into led zeppelin until I started realizing that... I just like the riffs. not the endless solos, violin-bowing, folky songs, etc. COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN! HEARTBREAKER!
then I started listening to punk and Black Sabbath instead.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2008, 06:36:45 pm »

I'm not disagreeing with you, 'Nev, but...

Comparing them to the Ken-doll created-by-committee blandness of Bon Jovi is just... man... there ain't many people who deserve that. That is just mean in a manner I can't go with.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2008, 08:36:23 pm »

I was not comparing Bon Jovi to Led Zeppelin.  I was merely stating that to the fans of that particular genre (hair metal) they are the pinnacle in much the same way that Led Zeppelin are the pinnacle of what they do.

However, I must say your willingness to demonize any music you don't appreciate is very tiring.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:37 pm »

Oh, its as much a running gag as anything at this point.

I mean, I believe the things I write basically... but I draw great joy from exaggeration.

Jon Bon Jovi as rock 'n' roll neutered and turned to plastic to the point of becoming a Ken doll, I like the image.

"Dead or Alive" can be fun to sing along to if I'm bombed-drunk, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2008, 08:59:44 pm »

See, Paul, I thought you were saying that Zep and Bon Jovi are both easily recognizable even by people who aren't usually into the genre.  Which is viewed by some as a bad thing, I guess? 

I like them both, so, whatever. 

This is why I don't get into music discussions any more.  Because deep down,
     in the darkest recesses of my soul,
           I love pink wine and radio songs. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2008, 09:53:38 pm »

In Highschool, I was into the college complaint rock.  (I still am, but ... I'm not as hardcore about it.)  I would readily tell someone "Oh... Nevermind?  You should have heard them back when they were good on Subpop."  In retrospect, I was a little douchey about music.   It's ok though.   I was in High School.  You have to be douchey about specific things.

There was this show on MTV a while ago called "Austin Stories".   It was a pretty decent show.   Probably one of the last artful things they aired.   This was 1995 or so. 

One of the characters, Howard, was chiding the other character, Chip, for his enjoyment of the Spice Girls.  His response cured me of my insufferable indy-rock snobbery that I had been going through.

"They make, fun, memorable music.  What's wrong with that?"

So I guess, I say to you, even the guilty pleasures... they're pleasurable.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up