I am a huge lover of cats and all things furry, but I know with 100% certainty that the only thing keeping the situation with disease ridden strays in my neighbourhood under controle are 1) the fridged, killing winters and 2) the yearly cull by the Humane Society. I've seen too many puss oozings, animals with gross rotting eyes, mange-ridden patchy fur and rotting tails hanging half limp, too many random animals staggering into my back yard, yowling in agony, maybe crying out for help or looking for a place to die. This is not to say death by beatings and social hysteria aren't terrible things, but just that the really disgusting act happens long before the collection and culling when people let their animals reproduce irresponsibly. Locally the street cats have a pretty good chance of dying horribly and painfully by starvation, freezing, injury, illness or abuse, or if they're lucky, a humane euthanasia or if they win the lottery adoption. I hate these 100% preventable problems.
Anyway, my really dark joke related to human atrocities that I always use is that instead of reporting "innocent civilians from (insert country North Americans tend to have no psychological attachment to) killed/maimed/tortured" we should use "innocent, cuddly, wuddly, kittens and puppies" because everyone can remember the last time they pet a kitten or puppy, but a lot fewer and remember the last time they shook hands with someone from Kenya, Iraq, Darfur, etc. When watching the news I sometimes even mutter "cuddly kittens" or "the cutest puppies ever!"
Really though, boycott the games in China, and come to Canada for the winter games in 2010 instead - the SO's sister will likely be compeating. She's a downhill skier in pre-Olympic trials right now. She is 100% awesome. She is in grade 7. Plus in Vancouver the worst that happens is a serial killer going unsuspected, killing 50 sex trade workers over a 20 year span. Oops - I mean a serial killer going unsuspected, killing 50 of the cutest, nicest kittens you've ever seen over a 20 year span.