Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT  (Read 3692 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:09:41 pm »

Stupid. It's only 'standard' time for, like a couple months out of the year now. So why don't we just leave it this way all year round?

Of course, I am cranky because I just fed the dogs at 5 pm because I got it backwards and thought that their poor little puggy stomachs thought it was 6 already.  When really their stomachs thought it was 4. And when I already have the problem that they start bugging me for dinner at least an hour early and this would have been the perfect chance to fake them out and get them on a different schedule.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:16:13 pm »

Of course, I am cranky because I just fed the dogs at 5 pm because I got it backwards and thought that their poor little puggy stomachs thought it was 6 already.  When really their stomachs thought it was 4.

The way to deal with this is to leave at least one of the clocks in your house on the real time.

Also, fuck Daylight Savings Time.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:03:35 pm »

I say Fuck Standard Time. Sunset should always occur between 7:30 and 9:00pm. I hate leaving my windowless office at 5:00 in December and walking out to darkness. I feel like I can't get anything done. I want to leave work and have some daylight hours, year round.

The world, of course, should acquiesce to my demands immediately.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 11:22:41 pm »

I say Fuck Standard Time. Sunset should always occur between 7:30 and 9:00pm. I hate leaving my windowless office at 5:00 in December and walking out to darkness. I feel like I can't get anything done. I want to leave work and have some daylight hours, year round.

The world, of course, should acquiesce to my demands immediately.

This could be achieved with less hubris by changing working hours to eight to four, rather than changing the time itself. Noon should always be more or less when the sun is highest in the sky. I feel that this is important.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:21 pm »

No, let's change working days to from TEN to four. Now that would be civilized.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 11:56:36 pm »

And afternoon siestas!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:44:29 pm »

Noon should always be more or less when the sun is highest in the sky. I feel that this is important.
I was just thinking about this yesterday.  I also hate time changes (either one).  I was trying to figure whether DST or Standard was better, assuming we had to keep one.  I think noon should be when the sun is highest at the summer solstice (in the center of the local time zone), then let the chips fall where they may for the rest of the year. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:21:35 pm »

Unsurprisingly, I love this daylight savings switch but I hate the other one. I'm perfectly willing to give up an hour of sleep if it means another hour of sunshine in the evening.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:18:59 pm »

I sort of assume the farther north (or south, for our Antipodal friends) you are the more you like the change.  My company has a manufacturing branch in Singapore, and one of the engineers there wrote me an email last week inquiring about the weather here (conversationally).  I mentioned how the longer days are nice, then realized he may not experience that; Singapore is about 1 degree North of the equator, vs 37 degrees for me near San Francisco.  The seasonal swing there is probably on the order of minutes, vs 5.5 hours here (9.5 hours of daylight at midwinter, 15 hours daylight at midsummer).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:17:56 pm »

I sort of assume the farther north (or south, for our Antipodal friends) you are the more you like the change.  My company has a manufacturing branch in Singapore, and one of the engineers there wrote me an email last week inquiring about the weather here (conversationally).  I mentioned how the longer days are nice, then realized he may not experience that; Singapore is about 1 degree North of the equator, vs 37 degrees for me near San Francisco.  The seasonal swing there is probably on the order of minutes, vs 5.5 hours here (9.5 hours of daylight at midwinter, 15 hours daylight at midsummer).

Nations (or parts of nations) near the  equator usually don't go along with this DST shenanigans.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:14:16 pm »

Yeah, we don't have DST here in Queensland but they have it further south. Actually though, I'm fairly sure they also have it in the northern territory and the  WA, parts of which are as close to the equator as we are.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 04:04:22 am »

Man, I was right on top of DST, and running early for rehearsals, but all the buses were re-routed to to some massive curling thing going on at the arena, and the damn bus that takes me to work was cancelled and the only other option was running 30 min late.  Fuck you DST.  Fuck you.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 04:09:32 am »

And all they gotta do is Cuuuuurrrrrrrrl,
Come on baby put that rock in the house!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 04:23:13 am »

massive curling thing

Is that like some kind of Canadian euphemism for "c*ck"?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:24:48 am »

"Hurry Hard!  Hurry Haaaaarrrrd!"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up