Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews  (Read 9887 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:55 pm »


"Reproductive access to larger number of women..."
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 10:57:51 pm »

for the record, one of my psych professors brought up that article as an example of what gets published when people make wild claims with little scientific basis. A lot of it makes sense to me, but he seemed pretty peeved about it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:16 pm »

Evolutionary psychology can be hell of specious though. Talk about a field that basically looks for it's hypothesis in it's data. Here's a fun article on all the news stories that came out a little while ago when someone published a study that declared women like pink because back in the day they had to be good at collecting berries.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:25:22 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:11 pm »

for the record, one of my psych professors brought up that article as an example of what gets published when people make wild claims with little scientific basis. A lot of it makes sense to me, but he seemed pretty peeved about it.

You're absolutely right.  This article has no apparent research behind it.  It's really shoddy science journalism, and I'm a bit of a schmuck for passing around baseless sensationalism.  This is exactly the kind of thing I'm complaining about when JL tunes me out in the car.  But then again, this whole thread is based on a news story that caught attention because everybody knew they'd get to show pictures of a pretty hooker, so maybe I don't have to feel so bad.

And Asherdan, I'll dig around for those studies that say Americans catch and prosecute domestic abusers and take care of their elderly parents way better than public perception.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 03:58:42 pm »

Evolutionary psychology can be hell of specious though.

That's why I prefer the explanation I related above, that politicians and cheaters can be observed to have the same list of personality traits. While an evolutionary explanation might exist for that observation, the insight can stand without it - it's something you can determine in the here and now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 08:15:20 am »

Sure, tha's coo. I don't think you'll get much argument that our society rewards dickish behaviour.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 02:53:39 am »

I don't know if she's worth five grand an hour, but this girl is fuck*ng hot as a motherfucker:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=69041220

We're MySpace friends.

Also, this reminds me that our country was founded by Puritans - those for whom the social mores of 16th Century England were too liberal and outrageous.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 03:11:39 am »

I don't know if she's worth five grand an hour, but this girl is fuck*ng hot as a motherfucker:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=69041220

We're MySpace friends.

Also, this reminds me that our country was founded by Puritans - those for whom the social mores of 16th Century England were too liberal and outrageous.


So are you the one who posted "SOMETYMES IT TAKES SUMTHING BAD 2 HAPPEN..4 SUMTHING GOOD 2 HAPPEN..REAL TALK.. " on her profile?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 04:03:51 am »

Jough, that girl looks like every single girl ive ever seen on the jersey shore. She is a completely average looking woman.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 04:10:57 am »

good lord, apparently the Jersey Shore is a repository of attractive women, then.

What?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 04:30:05 am »

I mean, she is attractive but... nothing to write home about.

Also, I am officially old enough now where she looks like a child to me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 05:01:12 am »

good lord, apparently the Jersey Shore is a repository of attractive women, then.

What?

This is something that I thought everyone already knew.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 05:04:19 am »

She looks a bit better in this shot. But whatever hotness is gained from this picture is lost from the accompanying description:

Quote from: slate
A broken home on the Jersey shore. Abused as a kid. A nightclub singer. Worried about paying her rent. Men walking out on her. "Broke and homeless," and known for giving extra food to homeless guys. OK, so she's not a Thai village girl smuggled into Amsterdam. But she is a sad American type: This is Marilyn Monroe territory—a woman who can play the role of sexy and powerful but is always herself being played

Serious boner-killer.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 05:15:51 am »

I know that a lot of people say prostitution is a "victimless crime" and all that but...

Man, I don't know.

Even if a lady honestly "chooses" to do that job, it is from the pressures of Circumstances.

I don't go into strip clubs because I just wanna hand-out blankets and hot cocoa and vouchers for, like, time with a psychiatrist when I'm in there. Yes, they "could" do something else but... clearly, if they had anything else they could do, they wouldn't be grinding their bits on college kids and truckers for five dollar bills.

Maybe it is just that I am an unreconstructed bleeding-heart of the old school variety but... man, I don't think so.

There's choices and there's "choices".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: NY Governor kills 5 children, Blames Jews
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 03:51:08 pm »

I know that a lot of people say prostitution is a "victimless crime" and all that but...

Here's a really good audio interview on NPR with sociology awesome-guy Sudhir Venkatesh.  He's basically saying call-girls are becoming a more acceptable personal service in upper-middle-class/rich society.  Some women are choosing it as a career and not just a way to make ends meet.  Arrangements are usually an on-retainer thing and not a single-incident thing and often are more about hiring a relationship than straight-up sex.  Still, it's a physical and psychologically dangerous life with gobs of depression and disease.  I think I remember him saying the average high-priced call-girl (up to $7500 per engagement) still gets beaten up about twice a year.  But you'll have to check on that.  I'm not listening to it again.  I've got pressing circumstances.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up