Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinner Party Menus  (Read 11204 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 05:06:18 am »

savory frittata.
I am unable to hear or see that word without thinking of this strip.

LFM. I'm totally with you on the Mac and Cheese Manifesto.
Seven, top with ketchup.
Wait, what?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 05:19:10 am »

C'mon, now.

Mac and cheese without ketchup is like... scrambled eggs without ketchup or potato chips without ketchup.

Ketchup is the Torgo's Executive Powder of condiments.

It slices, it dices, its a floor wax, its a dessert topping.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 05:56:34 am »

you just have a taste for the fake.

I totally feel that. When I worked for Micky D's back in the day I used to really love quarter pounders after my shift but the bits I would love are all the wrong things like when the bun was burned and too crispy on the edges and how incredibly greasy the whole thing was. 2 minute noodles are the same.

Easy trick for getting whipped cream that my mother worked out:
1. Pour your cream into a tupperware bowl (or any container really) so it fills about a third of it.
2. Seal tightly. Like, really tightly.
3. Give to your kid to shake up and down really hard until they get bored.
4. Whipped cream.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:44:48 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 06:09:49 am »

That's how we made butter as kids. From the milk we got from the cow ourselves. Except we used canning jars.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 06:45:49 am »

canning jars.

I hate to google that to convince myself you hadn't just decided to make up a word.
What has english done?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 06:54:29 am »

Mason jars, Bell jars, jars for canning. They look like this.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 11:37:23 am »

I like Cool-Whip.  I like real whipped cream too.  In my mind they're two entirely different things.  Sort of like the difference between a Whopper and an actual burger made at home on the grill.  Sure, the real thing is much much better, but sometimes you just have a taste for the fake.

Interesting. I think I always assumed that the only people who liked Cool Whip were ones who had never had real whipped cream. I do understand the having a taste for a fake thing, but never in the case of Cool Whip. When I taste a nice looking dessert and it turns out to be Cool Whip I want to cry. White whipped chemicals when I expected cream - the saddest thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 01:20:52 pm »

I thought I hated whipped cream until I was in my mid-20's. I always asked for things without it or just scraped it off. It turns out I had just never had actual cream what had been whipped. Just reddi whip and cool whip and whatnot.

I ate so much Easy Mac in college it's a wonder my skin isn't orange. I didn't even have a measuring cup though, so I had to figure out through trial-and-error how many dixie cups of water to add. But whoever invented just-add-water Kraft mac-and-cheese deserves a medal.

LFM, you sound like my aunt. Her husband is one of the world's great steak grillers and also makes some mean burgers and chicken, but she pours ketchup on everything. She probably hasn't tasted actual food in years. I think ketchup is basically for fries, fast-food hamburgers, and making sloppy joes. That's about it.

Which reminds me, I just watched Red Dwarf again and still can't figure out what the hell "brown ketchup" is.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »

Ketchup on mac 'n' cheese?  Bah.  Everyone knows you put Frank's on mac 'n' cheese.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 02:20:26 pm »

All this is well and good, but the question remains...

Root Beer or strawberry granitas? 

I will promise to make real whipped cream if it will make you feel better, womb@. 

But I need to know.  I have to go to the grocery store today. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:18 pm »

Root Boozles!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:09 pm »

If it's not too late, I vote for root beer, it's a fun idea.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 11:24:59 pm »

Which reminds me, I just watched Red Dwarf again and still can't figure out what the hell "brown ketchup" is.

I think they're either referring to brown sauce, like HP sauce or given that it's Red Dwarf, really old ketchup.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:52:24 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 12:50:50 am »

I think they're either referring to brown sauce, like HP sauce or given that it's Red Dwarf, really old ketchup.

It must be that, because Lister asks for some ketchup to pep up his lobster, then says "brown, not tomato" when he gets a dirty look from Kryten.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 05:09:19 am »

So, as far as microwaves go, I'm convinced leftover pasta heated up in the nuker tastes better than fresh from the stove. I don't know why it is. I think maybe because the sauce has time to "set" into the noodles while it's sitting in the fridge overnight? And the microwave sort of cooks the flavor even more into the noodles? I really don't know, but that's basically the only food I prefer from the microwave.

Then again, that's probably just a testament to my incompetence with Italian cooking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up