Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.  (Read 5405 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

I dunno.  Funny stuff, but out of character for Phillippe.

Edited for permalink.  [jld]

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03182008
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:24:05 pm by jldunston »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars

I like this one, but I tend to like any strip that involves Mr. Bear imparting his years of wisdom on Phillipe.

P.S. The alt-text mentions slow-release triple entendre. I'm afraid to know what that is.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Evil Philippe in panel 6 is pretty badass. He should tap into the nether-regions of the soul more often.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace

This was pretty funny, but the last joke in particular was a little sophisticated for sweet little Phillipe. I felt like the athlete's foot one was more in character.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

I dunno.  Funny stuff, but out of character for Phillippe.

Philippe has displayed out-of-character abilities to Mr. Bear before, however.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I think... our little boy is growing up. *sniff*
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

Has anyone else ever had to endure a 7 year old who has just discovered what sarcasm is?  It can be bad.  I have to imagine that I was intolerable.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile

Philippe has displayed out-of-character abilities to Mr. Bear before, however.

Very specific out of character quirks are great.  Like Homer Simpson's obsession with Supreme Court Justices.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

Well, he already had the ability to create polyglot palindromes.

Still, though, look at the people Philippe lives with and hangs out with. His sarcasm and unique worldview is going to develop superfast.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile

Well, he already had the ability to create polyglot palindromes.

Still, though, look at the people Philippe lives with and hangs out with. His sarcasm and unique worldview is going to develop superfast.

Three words here.

HOT.  BLOODY.  FAT.

Shit, man.  Some even got on the mayor.  Like.  Shit.  Cleanup on aisle mayor.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Children can be dark in ways that they do not fully understand because, like, we tell them horrifically gory stories about anthropomorphic animals that die in gruesome fashions.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile

Whoah! Philippe's working some rough chuckles these days!
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

Ok peopler, seriously, the joke is built within the strip. Establish a trend and then brake it - joke formula of the times. The otter has been building a trend for years, so whever he breaks that trend it is "a joke". He compacts that here by telling X and Y then Z breaks the pattern. The joke is the meta irony of the irony of the strip.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

A character in Super Smash Brother brawl is called Meta Knight, and I know that he is a Kirby character, but... is he Meta? How is he Meta?

I want to be Meta-Knight because I imagine that if I hit the right combination of buttons he will act Meta in a way which allows me to win.



OH, also, maybe A-CAP is Meta Knight.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up