Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.  (Read 5406 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

Meta Knight wins by the game selling ridiculously well. Thus he wins on a level above where all the other characters are playing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile

A character in Super Smash Brother brawl is called Meta Knight, and I know that he is a Kirby character, but... is he Meta? How is he Meta?

He is meta in the sense of "the Japanese think Meta sounds cool as a prefix". There's a boss in the game called Meta Ridley too.

Frankly I don't care what Meta Knight calls himself. To me, he is awesome for being a complete badass despite being essentially a purple puffball guy.
Logged

MagFlare

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile

A character in Super Smash Brother brawl is called Meta Knight, and I know that he is a Kirby character, but... is he Meta? How is he Meta?

I want to be Meta-Knight because I imagine that if I hit the right combination of buttons he will act Meta in a way which allows me to win.

OH, also, maybe A-CAP is Meta Knight.

Snake is way more meta than Meta Knight. Perform the right series of taunts on the Shadow Moses stage and Snake will have Codec conversations with his commanding officer in which he appears to recognize that he's a videogame character. Can't get much more meta than that.

Quote from: theinevitable
He is meta in the sense of "the Japanese think Meta sounds cool as a prefix". There's a boss in the game called Meta Ridley too.

Alas, Meta Ridley can't be blamed on the Japs. He's a product of the American-developed Metroid Prime series.

And there it sort of makes sense, if you're willing to accept that a Ridley with automaton bits is "beyond" a typical, fleshy Ridley.

(Edit: That's easily the least explicable autocensor I've ever seen.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:21:57 am by MagFlare »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

(Edit: That's easily the least explicable autocensor I've ever seen.)

Keep your ##### on.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

(Edit: That's easily the least explicable autocensor I've ever seen.)

You're new(ish).  Give it time. 

Nice edit, tho.  Here, have a strawberry daiquiri on the house. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

You're new(ish).  Give it time. 

Nice edit, tho.  Here, have a strawberry daiquiri on the house. 

Cheater. That should be a much more... interesting daiquiri flavor and you know it.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile

Cheater. That should be a much more... interesting daiquiri flavor and you know it.

Clamato?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Nice edit, tho.  Here, have a strawberry daiquiri on the house. 
Ah - the reply editor revealed JL's secret.  I was going to ask about awesome mod powers.  Once I made a Farklish reference to cocks (there is a common euphemism over there) and nearly felt the sting of Jough's pimp hand for filter circumvention.

Edit: oh, the subtleties of the Touamb system!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

I, too, have been struck down by the mighty fist of Jough. 

But when the cat's away, and all...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile

I, too, have been struck down by the mighty fist of Jough. 

But when the cat's away, and all...

Waitwaitwait.  Are we saying that when Jough's cat runs off, he gains super powers?  Can he attain this 'mighty fist' by simply throwing the cat out, or must it leave of its own accord.  That would be the best super-power-with-disabling-twist ever!

Well, pretty good, anyway.  I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."

That would be a very useful power for a secretary to have.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile


Me?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

Well, pretty good, anyway.  I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."

Dear, did you forget that these people don't all live in my head, and therefore have no idea what you're talking about?

We all know that TOUAMB lives in wombat's head. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

We all know that TOUAMB lives in wombat's head. 

Hey, that's where the migraines come from.

How did I never make the connection before?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

That would be a very useful power for a secretary to have.
Well, pretty good, anyway.  I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."
I would think its in the job description.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up