Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bush Booed at Nats game  (Read 2165 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Bush Booed at Nats game
« on: March 31, 2008, 06:47:14 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUAsTrl4JI&eurl=http://www.wjno.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=244038&article=3472560

I love it. No way to censor that many people. It says a lot when something as innocuous as a ceremonial baseball pitch incites people to boo the hell out of you. People say Nixon was less popular, and I wasn't live then so I dont know - but I cant imagine how a presidency could draw more negativity. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:06:29 am »

Ah, I think what it comes down to is... he IS more hated than Nixon but... y'know...

Basically, back then, people hadn't been completely convinced that there was no way to change anything ever again yet. Back in the days when there was a stable middle-class for protestors and so forth to come from.

Mortally wound the middle class and their children will not rise up against the monsters, they'll be too busy just trying to pay off their student loans and their medical bills and rent and shit. The debt culture has rendered cowards of us all, you see.

Too busy scrambling for the remaining crumbs of a long-ago stolen pie and all that. All there is to do is to boo him between panic attacks about bills and to wait for a miracle to save us... in an age abandoned by the miraculous.

Did you see him in the booth on Sunday Night Baseball, though?

That was a man who was in a heavily altered state of consciousness.

90% chance of heavy prescription drugs, 10% chance of cult brainwashing.

0% chance of a fully-functional adult mind.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:14:31 am »

How do they get money for espn and baseball tickets?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:36 pm »

The local media seems surprised there was a little booing as there was. And apparently there was a stink because he threw the ball to the manager instead of the catcher?

Last year a group was bidding on the stadium's naming rights and wanted to call it Taxation Without Representation Stadium. Presumably if that had gone through then the booing never would have happened because somebody else would have been throwing the pitch.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:45:34 pm »

Did you notice him at the beginning?  He knew what was coming.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:24 pm »

Apparently he's thrown legit strikes most every other time he's tossed out the first pitch, but this time it was way high. I think it was the booing that got to him. I mean, imagine a stadium of people booing you because you're kind of a shitty major league pitcher. That's fine. But then imagine a stadium of people booing you because you have ~30% approval rating. Which one gets in your head even more?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

I, for one, did not boo.  While I am no fan of President Bush by any means, we weren't there for political purposes.  I didn't cheer either, though.

As for throwing to Acta (the manager) rather than to the catcher, our new catcher, Paul LoDuca, was prominently named in the Mitchell steroids report.  So there was this weird undercurrent of "Does President Bush, total steroid-hater, really want to throw the first pitch to a total roid guy?" around here.  Apparently the decision was made to relieve LoDuca of that particular duty rather than fuel any sort of controversy.

For anyone who's interested in such things as the opening of new ballparks, I got some pictures up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/

Anyone who will be through town and wants to go to a game, let me know.  My 20-game plan is remarkably well-accounted for at this point in the season, but tickets can just about always be had from a variety of sources.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bush Booed at Nats game
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 03:31:50 pm »

I doubt I'll be in your town this year but...

By all means, make sure to cheer Milledge and boo LoDuca for me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1]   Go Up