Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate Apple  (Read 26468 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 09:11:36 am »

Let me know how the touch goes for you if you get one Choop. I was hanging out for the iphone but I just got a (relatively cheap) new phone anyway so I'm wondering if it might be worth settling since I was mainly interested in it for the tiny computer features rather than the phone features.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

My sister-in-law got an iTouch for Christmas and she loves it.  It's easy enough that my five year old niece can surf the web and play games on it. 

I have an ipod because Pedro loves his.  I use mine occasionally -- I used it a lot when I first got it because I had an hour-long (each way) commute once a week.  I mostly listen to audiobooks.  But I've had it for over a year and I don't really know how to work it.  I just never sat down and played with it.  I only recently figured out how to actually put music on it.  Usually I just make Pedro do it.  This is exacerbated by the fact that all my music got off-loaded onto an external hard drive, so now my iTunes has all these songs but none of them actually work. 

I was going to say a bunch of stuff about functionality and market forces and niche markets and how most people don't use half the features that they paid extra for on technology gadgets...but you guys have pretty much covered that already, so: ditto everyone. 

Also, my mom calls everything by Apple "that iThing" and refers to digital music players as "mp thingies." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 02:57:54 pm »

On more sober reflection I find I must amend my rant.  Having never used or owned a Mac or any other Apple product other than the various iPodia above-described, in all fairness I must limit my venom to the aforesaid diminutive media players.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 04:08:26 pm »

Would this be a bad time to mention I just bought a new iMac to replace my aging (but still functional!) PowerBook? I decided to go the desktop route since I never really take this notebook anywhere and looking down at the screen is beginning to destroy my neck. Yes, I know they sell stands for that but still.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:51 pm »

What?  How can you say that?  Next you'll be telling me that Celine Dion and Britney Spears aren't the worlds' greatest musicians!

I have an otherwise-intelligent friend who says more or less this exact thing.  "If it wasn't great music, it wouldn't be in the Top 40."

God, it's frustrating.  I gave up talking about music with him years ago.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 04:53:38 pm »

My ladyfriend is tech savvy.  Just as much as I am.

In fact, she got hired for the job that I left just recently.

I have no problems with my ipod, her's frustrates her to death.  This spans several iPods.  I think there's something about the workflow that messes with people.   
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 05:24:05 pm »

Man, I really need to learn computer stuff. I really really want to take a programming class here, because I loved it and was good at it when I took classes in high school, but apparently the computer science classes here (or at least the early ones) are all horrible.
Next semester there's a Computational Linguistics class where the professor is going to teach some programming language (I think he likes Perl?) and then teach how to use it to analyze language. Which is cool, but... boring sounding? I feel like the only person in it will be my friend Karl.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »

The odds that there are that many faulty ipods and that you happen to get so many of them that times in a row is literally unbelievable.

Well, I call bullshit on that.  I received an 80GB iPod for my birthday last year, and in short order it developed the clicking sound that comes with the imminent failure of the internal hard drive. 

So I brought it back.  They gave me a new one.  Clicking sound.

I brought that one back...to a different Apple Store.  They took a new iPod right out of the box and gave it to me.

Clicking sound. 

This happened TWO MORE TIMES. 

It took me five months to get a usable iPod. 

iPods are poorly constructed toys.  Unfortunately, everyone else's toys are worse. 

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »

I mean, also relevant is the fact that an 80 gig harddrive smaller than a billfold is INSANE. That is the bleeding fuck*ng edge.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 07:50:14 pm »

Welcome to North Carolina, where the men carry billfolds and the women carry pocketbooks. 

It was weird for me, too. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 08:04:54 pm »

the reason I said billfold is that... for some reason at first I wanted to say "a folded 1 dollar bill," and then I realized that that is not at all the size it is.
I normally say wallet, don't think I am crazy.


Also, JL, people in NC say Pocketbook? I always associated that with my dad's crazy bostonian relatives.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »

is there a place where people dont say pocketbook? Ive always said pocketbook... i guess the alternative is purse? handbag? Billfold however... is a word that crazy people use. Crazy people like the Virginia state trooper who told me to get out my Billfold. "My what?" "Your billfold! Get out your billfold!" "What the... Whats a..." "BILLFOLD! BILLFOLD! DONT TELL ME YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A GOD DAMN BILLFOLD IS!" " Oh... you mean a wallet? Ive got a wallet. I have a wallet here."
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »

Apparently back in the day a wallet didn't fold over and looked sort of like a checkbook? As for purse vs. pocketbook vs. handbag I have no ideas.

Clutches are fuck*ng ridiculous, though.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 08:38:06 pm »

Clutches are fuck*ng ridiculous, though.
Prone to being dropped, one would think.

Also: armpit piranhas
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Apple
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 11:14:45 pm »

Next semester there's a Computational Linguistics class where the professor is going to teach some programming language (I think he likes Perl?) and then teach how to use it to analyze language. Which is cool, but... boring sounding? I feel like the only person in it will be my friend Karl.

I'm like two pages too late on this but... FUCK computational linquistics.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up