Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!  (Read 4192 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:29:58 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04082008

I need to find ways to work the verb "to roger" into everyday speech.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:36:55 am »

i "rogered" your mom... last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:21:50 am »

It is just a week of strips that is summed up as:

"ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:42:34 am »

coo coo cluck cluck sign me book


ONSTAD I HAVE SUCH A goddamn, it ain't even fucki*g worth it.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:53:26 am »

I actually liked this one until mr. Bear's last line. It had such a newspaper cartoon feel of 'oh shit I guess we have to remind readers what the joke is' that it put me off
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

spiral

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:31 am »

Pub Landlord, tragically, is a better representation of current British culture than Mr Teal. I wish it were otherwise.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:41:13 am »

I mean, I'm sure the average Britisher in the 1950's was spouting off like the Publican, just in a 1950s way. I doubt there was some golden age where all Britishes spoke perfect Queen's English and wore tweed jackets and smoked pipes and studied Horace.

Kind of like if I were to say there was never a golden age where every American studied Locke and had the constitution memorized and worked every day honestly with his hands on his own land in order to support his wife and children, who were proud to contribute to their sustenance, able to be educated in simple 1-room schoolhouses and make pies to leave out on the sill. Homespun cloth and protestant work ethic and tri-cornered hats and love for the union. citizen soldiers, pious to God and the ideals of Democracy and Freedom.
Except, of course, America actually was like that, I'm pretty sure. Whereas, you know, England is just a country made up of people who have changed over time and been influenced by the times they lived in and stuff. History.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, here. Maybe I want to see a British comic take on America. Due to having read a Stephen Ambrose book about D-Day at an impressionable age, the first thing that comes to mind is his description of British troops standing on one of the beaches and shaking their heads at the sheer volume of crap the American soldiers had carried all the way across the ocean, only to dump it on the beach when they realized how heavy it all was. Piles and piles of all the stuff the British were on short supply of. Basically everything I love and hate about the US is summed up there, and in general in that book/WWII as I understand it. I think it was Asherdan who said you can't have one side of that coin without the other, and I am inclined to agree the more I think about it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:44:46 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 11:57:52 am »

I actually liked this one until mr. Bear's last line. It had such a newspaper cartoon feel of 'oh shit I guess we have to remind readers what the joke is' that it put me off


But I liked that. Because it is otherwise so not newspaper-cartoony, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »

TWEET
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:46:55 pm »

But I liked that. Because it is otherwise so not newspaper-cartoony, you know?

Yeah I guess I shouldn't complain that Achewood is fuck*ng with my expectations. That's basically why I read it after all.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:55:11 pm »

I have to say - I don't normally literally laugh out loud at achewood these days - I enjoy it, but I tend not to laugh aloud at things I read when I'm alone - but I was just giggling today.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 12:31:42 am »

I'm not all that happy with this week or so of Achewood really, going for the really obvious British stereotypes is pretty grating. It's like, if I did a week of comics on a French computer where it would only, A) Chat to me in enigmatic philosophical quips, B) Constantly go "I AM ZURRENDURING" when it's got an error or C) Strike.

I'm not offended at all, I'm not that precious. It's mainly all the people laughing this stuff up (mostly on Assetbar). If I posted a series of comics where my American computer ate ridiculous amounts of junk email, spread loads of viruses onto computers and belched noxious fumes everywhere, most Achewood fans would find it crap (though lots of culturally blinkered English folk would.. love it.. CHRIST I THINK I'VE GOT IT
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:18:40 am »

judy your ideas intrigue me and i would like to subscribe to your rss feed
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 08:06:02 am »

I'm not offended at all, I'm not that precious. It's mainly all the people laughing this stuff up (mostly on Assetbar). If I posted a series of comics where my American computer ate ridiculous amounts of junk email, spread loads of viruses onto computers and belched noxious fumes everywhere, most Achewood fans would find it crap (though lots of culturally blinkered English folk would.. love it.. CHRIST I THINK I'VE GOT IT

Ooooh oooh! Do me next, do me next!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 08:08:22 am »

Once again I assert that this computer was built in New Jersey by people seeking to capitalize on the Anglophile market.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up