Micromanagement is an artifact of insufficient resources being given to the AI and/or poor mechanic design. Clicking to make my guy move one step to the right and left until he's able to get the killshot for his XP may be a skill, but it's not fun, and it's certainly not strategy.
I think most of the reason I hate real time strategy is because it really forces the player to fight the interface more than his opponent. The goals are obvious - explore, build your bases, collect resources, build units, disrupt enemy, kill enemy - but you have to tell each individual unit what to do, all the time, in order to execute your plan. Something that should be a matter of instructing a unit to "go look at parts of the map that you haven't seen, run away from enemies if you see them, and return to the base when you're done" is instead a "skill" of finding the unit, selecting a destination for it, then monitoring it to make sure that it hasn't decided to land in the middle of an enemy base. Instead of giving orders, I'm issuing vague commands and then having to monitor to make sure those commands weren't turned into "do something stupid now."
Basically I am saying that real time strategy is not strategy and it does not take place in real time. Also I am up too late.