Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?  (Read 2976 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:17:30 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04302008

I like this thread title, but I am confused about the placement of the apostrophe.

Note: Sometimes that is the correct way to choose a font, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:01:49 pm »

I was expecting something more like a drawing of your preferred professional sports team's logo.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 01:32:55 pm »

Is my preference for a 4-cell D Maglite a sign of...  inadequacy issues?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:57:19 pm »

I don't know, do you need more than 2.5oz of water in your under##### extension?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:22:17 pm »

Wombat's right about the apostrophe.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »

It is a sign that you want that which illuminates your life to also be a blunt weapon, in a pinch.

A lot of people feel this way. It is basically why the Middle East isn't awesome.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »

RB's font-choosing method is exactly how I choose a font. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 05:18:02 pm »

I pick Arial or Comic Sans. But I print out a copy of my document in Helvetica also, just so I can piss on it. Just to make graphic designers cry.
Logged

hammish

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 33
  • Hammish has not been renewed for 2009.
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:31:04 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04302008

I like this thread title, but I am confused about the placement of the apostrophe.


I think this is the correct apostrophe placement to indicate the possessive for a plural noun which ends in s:
http://www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm#Plural%20possessive

However, I'm not certain Ray is concerned about being arrested by more than one friend. It is puzzling.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:37 pm »

However, I'm not certain Ray is concerned about being arrested by more than one friend. It is puzzling.

Yes, this is the part that is the problem.

It is presumably analogous to citizen's arrest - is that supposed to be citizens' arrest? Doesn't make sense to me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:05 pm »

I was going to make something up to explain why the apostrophe placement is correct, but...

I got nothin'. 

Sorry.  I'm coming down with a cold, and the best I can do is tell you about the jokes I would have made if I only had the brainpower to make them. 

Sorry. 

Sorry. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

hammish

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 33
  • Hammish has not been renewed for 2009.
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:57 pm »

the best I can do is tell you about the jokes I would have made if I only had the brainpower to make them. 

Had you made them, my laughter would have commenced with a poorly-stifled chortle, followed by a wheezing haw as the full brunt of the humor settled on me. Little aftershocks of nuance would punctuate the descending trail of hehs with a staccato pattern suggesting, but not achieving, a titter.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:04:05 pm »

I was going to make something up to explain why the apostrophe placement is correct, but...

Pinch-hitting: A citizen's arrest is what one citizen does to another.  A friends' arrest is an experience they can share.

A cardiac arrest is when a woman detains your heart... and holds it for questioning.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 10:09:47 pm »

Had you made them, my laughter would have commenced with a poorly-stifled chortle, followed by a wheezing haw as the full brunt of the humor settled on me. Little aftershocks of nuance would punctuate the descending trail of hehs with a staccato pattern suggesting, but not achieving, a titter.

Had you laughed so at my joke, unmade, I would have missed the opportunity to give you this tiny can.  So I guess everybody wins. 

Pinch-hitting: A citizen's arrest is what one citizen does to another.  A friends' arrest is an experience they can share.

A cardiac arrest is when a woman detains your heart... and holds it for questioning.

You'll always be my P2, dear. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 03:03:49 pm »

Is my preference for a 4-cell D Maglite a sign of...  inadequacy issues?

Gimpson, it's been a while.  (for me at least.)  Good to see you.  Did you know your avatar looks a bit like Jesse Dangerously?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up