Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legalize Ghost Bikes  (Read 1673 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Legalize Ghost Bikes
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:19:12 pm »

http://www.ghostbike.org/

Thank you, BoingBoing. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:50:17 pm »

I see them from time to time here in Portland.

The last one was where a young woman was hit by a cement truck that took a right turn when she was going straight.

These things never fail to give me the heebie-jeebies. 

I always mirror-signal-headcheck when turning right now.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

That's a really great idea.  I could do something with the rusting hulk darkening my backyard.  There are certainly no shortage of bike/car fatalities in my neighborhood.  There was a lot of talk recently around here  because a sleep deprived cop ran down three cyclists (killing one) who were participating in a contest.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:49:37 am »

I'm pretty good friends with one of the main organizers of this in New York City, which has something of a killing cyclists problem.  I have a degenerative eye condition that has pretty well wiped out my peripheral vision, so I don't cycle, but I fear for my friends' lives.  Someone I know is talking about becoming a bike messenger and I'm like, you know, medical testing might be a safer way to risk your life for corporate america.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:37:42 pm »

All the same, there are a lot of bike riders out there that ride unsafely. Obviously, every death is a tragedy but I think that a little more awareness all around would be a good thing. These ghost bikes can really help with that.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:54 pm »

San Francisco (the city itself, especially) has an epidemic problem with red-light runners.  As in - three full seconds after the light goes red someone will go flying through the intersection at top speed.  This despite several pedestrian and cyclist fatalities.  I have no idea what those people are thinking.  Anytime I'm crossing a street there, I pause a good few seconds after I get the light before I start across.  Even better if I'm screened by cars from cross-traffic (although I've seen some clips of pedestrians getting nailed by debris from intersection collisions between cars!).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 08:09:22 pm »

Maybe they're like, "Well, I already live in San Francisco, why should I start following social conventions now?



Disclaimer: I used to live in the Bay Area and have been to San Francisco. It's a nice place.
Logged

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 08:00:01 pm »

Wait...they're not legal?




Those Cheezburgers are getting a lot of people into trouble!
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up