Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.  (Read 11758 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:40 am »

Quote
I think they call that Ignorance and Prejudice, but whatever works for you, dude.

I don't see how this is the case at all. What am I saying that is wrong about what she has to say? In what way am I ignorant? Tell me how I am mischaracterizing what she is saying. I am judging her ideas based on... her ideas. I don't have any interest in reading a novel trying to convince me to subscribe to her philosophy-- like I said, an essay, sure, a book explaining her ideas, sure, but a Novel is not the medium.

Quote
If anyone wants to read Ayn Rand, without actually plowing through thousands of pages, I recommend The Ayn Rand Reader, its a greenish color paperback with like a readers digest version of her works.
I guess the answer is this, and sure, I will read it. But there is no way I need to read 1000's of pages of Novel to be allowed to have an informed opinion on Objectivism.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:07 am »

Nobody's arguing your right to not read the book.  I'm planning on not reading it, myself.  But, you know, I think just the way it sounded when you wrote this:

Quote from: theinevitable
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to read one of those books when I already know that I hate everything about Ayn Rand's ideas.

Sort of turned people off a little.  I'm not a huge fan of objectivism, but rather than say "I'm not going to learn about it because I already know I hate it," it's a little less confrontational to say, "What I know of objectivism doesn't appeal to me, I really prefer [insert philosophy here]. 

Not that confrontational is bad, necessarily -- if that's what you're going for. 

Whatever you're going for, take it to the Atlas Shrugged thread, and leave Iron Man the hell alone from here on out. 

I mean it.  I will get wicked. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 03:05:08 am »

So is anyone else worried about what the hell they're going to do with the sequel? Downey carried this one through force of character but without a compelling villain I'm really worried about the next one. Who are they going to use, the Mandarin?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2008, 11:58:36 am »

JL Says: Take It Outside. 

This post moved to the other thread. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:49:12 pm by jay-ell »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2008, 01:02:50 pm »

She just gets wicked.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Judy -- don't be alarmed.  "Pound" is Americanese for "#."

I prefer "octothorpe."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2008, 06:43:25 pm »

I prefer "octothorpe."

As a telephone engineer, this is the only term that I can approve of.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2008, 09:56:17 pm »

What does it say about me that I studied up Rand to better understand my comic books?
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2008, 12:37:16 am »

What does it say about me that I studied up Rand to better understand my comic books?

It says that you have awesome comic books.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2008, 09:37:39 am »

I found Iron Man to be thoroughly enjoyable.  It is about a guy who builds a ***** suit and is funny.  While I would have liked a longer/more involved final act, I really couldn't find a major fault with it.  The dialogue was good, the action was fun, and it threw in just enough slapstick to be amusing but not cutesy.  The inevitable ally/enemy turn was even handled well.  I've liked Jon Favreau since Swingers, and I hope this means he gets more money to do more stuff now.

I groaned about the Burger King placement, too, but damned if a cheeseburger wasn't the first thing I wanted when I came back from being in Europe, too, and I went there of my own volition.  I guess if the brand of cheeseburger paid for another few minutes of effects on fight scenes, I can deal with it.  I can't really decide if it's better or worse than the Pepsi scene in Back to the Future II.

It wasn't until after the movie that I realized it was PG-13, and I didn't miss any of the R stuff.  I kind of liked that.  Does this mean I'm old?
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008, 05:00:41 pm »

His wanting a hamburger American-style wasn't the problem.

The problem is... he's Tony Stark. He don't need to settle for fuckin' BK.

The most ghetto Tony Stark would go would be to have him limo pull up to an In 'N' Out and pay everyone in line ahead of him two hundred dollars each for their spot in said line.

If you live in SoCal and you have the time/money/you're in the right neighborhood, you don't settle for The King or The Clown... you go buy off those lovable Jesus freaks who make everything so deliciously goddamned fresh.

He can probably also pay an executive chef in a converted RV to just... meet him at the press conference with a really fuckin' amazing gourmet burger but... the lowest he's going is the Insie-Outsie with bribes to get food immediately.

He's filthy rich and he lives in the LA-area, that's just the truth of the matter if he wants a burger.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:37 pm »

I didn't really get the In-n-Out burger thing when I had it. I guess because it was explained to me as if it was going to be the best burger I'd ever had.

I'd rather have a Chick-Fil-A sandwich. And they're only 2 dollars! Mmmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2008, 07:36:05 pm »

The most ghetto Tony Stark would go would be to have him limo pull up to an In 'N' Out and pay everyone in line ahead of him two hundred dollars each for their spot in said line.

Tony Stark, as a hero of capitalism, knows that the free market guarantees that the best burger is the most profitable. Therefore he eats burgers from the most profitable burger companies.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 12:31:53 am »

I didn't really get the In-n-Out burger thing when I had it.

What he said.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man: 2/3 cool with a scoop of suck.
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2008, 07:15:01 pm »

He would have gone to Father's Office or The Counter.  That BK plug was the only bum note in an otherwise doubleplusgood superhero flick.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up