Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog  (Read 6020 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 01:41:45 am »

They're even weirder looking when they get the hundreds of white egg things growing off their back.

edit Apparently, those are brachonid wasps.  Mmmmmm.  Tasty.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:45:23 am by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Dullscythe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • :(
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 05:44:29 am »

Well. I was not the least bit freaked out by moths until now.

Thanks a lot, guys.

P.S.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 02:38:17 pm »

Me too, Wombat.  You're not alone. 
Bein' as you live in tobacco country, you probably see a fair number of these critters (they also like tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 02:57:31 pm »

Yes, because I spend so much time in outdoors, in the hundred-degree heat with 98% humidity, lovingly tending to my tobacco, tomato, pepper, and eggplant crops here in the idyllic pastures of my state capital. 

That's why I don't have time to reply to messages on this board mere minutes after they've been posted.  Because I spend all my time outside.  With nature. 

Hah. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 04:43:42 pm »

Yes, because I spend so much time in outdoors, in the hundred-degree heat with 98% humidity, lovingly tending to my tobacco, tomato, pepper, and eggplant crops here in the idyllic pastures of my state capital. 
See, now that's totally the image I had, all tousle-haired moppets tumbling at your feet, wearing a sundress1, and occasionally sipping from a glass next to an icy pitcher of sweet tea shaded by the spreading arms of an elm tree.

1You're wearing the dress, not the moppets
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 05:31:09 pm »

Just as I was about to reply to this, I spilled a whole plate of leftover chicken into my lap as I tried to eat on the couch while reading this board on my laptop.  I had to go change my clothes, which isn't that big a deal since I was still in my pajamas (at 1:30 in the afternoon).  Then I had to scrub stove top stuffing out of my carpet, because I accidentally stepped on it as I was leaving the room.  I'm just glad I didn't knock over my room-temperature Diet Coke in the process.  The whole time this was going on, my infant daughter was lying on the floor watching television. 

That's a somewhat different picture, no? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 05:48:22 pm »

JL, you are such a disappointment to our Yankee pals. Try to be either a lot more squalid (trailer, meth, thong underwear peeking out of low-rise-jeans and soon you are getting mad rutty, etc) or more old-fashioned (verandah, sweet tea, mint juleps, sun-dress, etc.)

If you want that, jaydub, come visit me in charlotte and I will introduce you to some of my really old-fashioned-rich-and-southern female friends.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 05:50:57 pm »

You can take the girl out of the midwest, but you can't take the midwest out of this girl.

Sorry, folks.  Ohio born and bred, no getting around it. 

I do like sweet tea, though. 

Tell me more about the PJ's and the texture of the stuffing against your toes...

Was this meant to sound like an obscene phone call? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 09:44:40 pm »

Ash is just creepin' all over the place.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 10:05:20 pm »

I want to make sure I'm in her (and all youse'es) next TOUAMBie flavoured dream.

In a good or bad way is irrelevant to me.

::lick::

You have no idea how difficult it was for me not to add [edit: throbbing] to that post.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 11:44:26 pm »

I want to make sure I'm in her (and all youse'es) next TOUAMBie flavoured dream.

Sorry, my subconscious doesn't take requests. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 11:54:25 pm »

If you want that, jaydub, come visit me in charlotte and I will introduce you to some of my really old-fashioned-rich-and-southern female friends.

Ey! Over here!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 12:29:34 am »

"hey, Katherine, may I present... golfhaus. I know him from the internet."

They would not go for it, sorry. We should hang out at least once while I am home, though? I get home tomorrow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up