Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?  (Read 2395 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:37:29 pm »

I always pronounce Orezscu as "oh-RESH-koo". I can see how maybe it could also be "or-ES-koo".
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:52:09 pm »

I think it's mentioned in one of the blogs somewhere that Teodor is of Belarusian descent, but I don't think "zs" is a digraph in Belarusian, or any of the Slavic languages, for that matter. It is a digraph in Hungarian, however, where it makes a "zh" sound, like the zed in "azure". So it seems that the correct answer might be "Oh-rezh-koo". Unless the "zsc" is just a consonant cluster, in which case it would be "Oh-rez-skoo". But "c" just wouldn't be used that way in any Slavic language I know of, so it being Hungarian seems likelier to me.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:31:12 pm »

This is America so he can pronounce it any way he damn pleases.

In my house, one of the ways we know if a phone call is from a salesperson or someone who actually sort of knows us is how they pronounce the Technical Staff's name when they ask for him. He pronounces it the French way, so if they don't, we know they're a stranger. But lots of Americans with his name pronounce it the way the salespeople pronounce it based on its spelling, so you really can't blame them.

So without asking Teodor himself we can't know. Or without calling his house, taking a stab at the pronunciation, and seeing how fast he hangs up on us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:13:58 pm »

This thread made me realize that I've been subconsciously transposing the C and the Z. 

o REK szu
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:17:11 pm »

Jo-ugh
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:06 pm »

This thread made me realize that I've been subconsciously transposing the C and the Z. 

o REK szu

I've been doing exactly that.

Although I noticed it a while ago and just didn't bother to make the mental effort to change it. I could use that mental effort to think about bees, you know?

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:35 pm »

I always thought he was of Romanian descent, because many Romanian surnames end with -escu (Antonescu, Ionescu, Constantinescu, the infamous Ceaucescu, and so on). And as far as I know the Romanian language has more to do with the Romance languages than with Slavic ones. No clue to the pronunciation though…
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:21:10 am »

I always thought he was of Romanian descent, because many Romanian surnames end with -escu (Antonescu, Ionescu, Constantinescu, the infamous Ceaucescu, and so on).
Yeah, that was my impression too.  I've heard those pronounced with endings sounding like -ess/kyoo.  SQ

 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:22:37 am »

My name is hungarian and has this sound. My family says it as zzh, but people Ive met from hungary say it with a zsh sound.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:47:18 am »

I think it's mentioned in one of the blogs somewhere that Teodor is of Belarusian descent

Yeah, he tells Nice Pete that his parents are from Minsk in this strip.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:10:46 am »

Jimnoffsky.

/Carlin
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:04:35 am »

Teddy Oreck.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1]   Go Up