Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Poll

Will you be watching?

Yes
- 3 (25%)
Yes
- 2 (16.7%)
Yes
- 2 (16.7%)
Yes
- 2 (16.7%)
Yes
- 3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 5


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Euro 2008 (Football)  (Read 10144 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Euro 2008 (Football)
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:40:06 pm »

In about a month's time, the second greatest sporting tournament in the world is about to begin.

This can be the Official Thread, if enough people are interested then I will keep this going.

(Hilariously yet) Tragically England failed to qualify, due to a lot of shit stuff. Crap manager, lazy players, losing to Croatia at home..

So I am supporting Spain. Lots of good players, crazy curmudgeonly manager, perennial underachievers.

And none of the other British teams qualified, so I've got to cast my net further adrift.

What about you guys?

(Anticipates this thread's vanishment into obscurity)

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:27:38 pm »

Euro 2008 starts almost exactly as my exams finish. I do like a bit of good timing.

In England's absence, I'm considering rooting for either Portugal and the Netherlands in recognition of the unashamed violence of their last World Cup match. Because for someone who doesn't really care about football that much, it was fine entertainment in its tawdry way.

And let's face it, it's got to be the Netherlands, partly because they're Dutch and partly because there's no better name on Earth than "Vennegoor of Hesselink".

(I'm a disgrace to the national pastime.)

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:35:51 pm »

Like all good liberal Americans, all I really root for is that the ensuing riots are regionally based instead of ethno-racially based and for ESPN to not try and pretend that we care by showing anything about it other than maybe if someone scores a goal with his face, then they could show that for two seconds and make a joke about the guy's last name and then move onto the Brewers-Marlins highlight or whatever.

Those are my only two hosss in the field.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:24:12 pm »

Like all good liberal Americans, all I really root for is that the ensuing riots are regionally based instead of ethno-racially based and for ESPN to not try and pretend that we care by showing anything about it other than maybe if someone scores a goal with his face, then they could show that for two seconds and make a joke about the guy's last name and then move onto the Brewers-Marlins highlight or whatever.

Those are my only two hosss in the field.

Sigh.

It seems I will never win you over to the beautiful game, LFM.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:28:32 pm »

Euro 2008 starts almost exactly as my exams finish. I do like a bit of good timing.

In England's absence, I'm considering rooting for either Portugal and the Netherlands in recognition of the unashamed violence of their last World Cup match. Because for someone who doesn't really care about football that much, it was fine entertainment in its tawdry way.

And let's face it, it's got to be the Netherlands, partly because they're Dutch and partly because there's no better name on Earth than "Vennegoor of Hesselink".

(I'm a disgrace to the national pastime.)

Yes, I am the same regarding the exam situation. Wayy.

Also, yes, "Vennegoor of Hesselink" is indeed the best surname ever. The Dutch in general are great though, it's ridiculous how such a small largely 'middle-class' nation can produce such a dazzling array of football talent.

But yes, the violence. Football would not be football without it's ridiculous handbags incidents. The pseudo-tribal hatred violence incidents, not so good.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:36 am »

I normally say that I only watch scripted sports, but since ESPN just hired Jonathan Coachman I'm not sure sure anymore.

I also had no idea until just now that that's his real name. That's actually pretty cool, if for no other reason than the built-in nickname.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:22:52 am »

I normally say that I only watch scripted sports...

Is that like Olympic Ice Dancing?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:26:58 am »

Dudes, I am interested. If only in hopes of another maniac dispensing headbutts.

I'll let you know.

Headbutt Highlight of the season so far, though, due to sheer comedy value (watch the guy who gives the headbutt): http://youtube.com/watch?v=z3FIYguDqvc
(Link broken, search 'nani headbutt' on youtube, should get something)

This may take your fancy for now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:07:37 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:55:50 am »

I normally say that I only watch scripted sports...

Is that like Olympic Ice Dancing?

That's not a sport! Anything without objective scoring is an athletic competition. I meant like sports movies and wrestling.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:29:13 am »

Quote from: JudyIsADickSlap
It seems I will never win you over to the beautiful game, LFM.

Oh, the beautiful game has me already.

The game of ball that they call base.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:49:20 am »

SCOTLAND, BITCHES!


Oh wait, they're not in it.  Um... I dunno.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:01:40 am »



The two official mascots for UEFA Euro 2008, were named after a vote from the public of the two host nations, the options were:

    * Zagi and Zigi
    * Flitz and Bitz
    * Trix and Flix

After receiving 36.3% of the vote, Trix and Flix were chosen. "I am sure the mascots and their names will become a vital part of the understanding of the whole event," said Christian Mutschler, who is the tournament director for Switzerland


Yikes. Well I guess Ill be cheering for Germany. And by cheering i mean if i hear somewhere that they won, ill nod with satisfaction.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 05:06:21 am »

They... didn't look enough like characters from some kind of superhero-themed twink porn and they had to name them Flix and Trix?

I mean. Yeah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »

They... didn't look enough like characters from some kind of superhero-themed twink porn and they had to name them Flix and Trix?

I mean. Yeah.

Bless the Europeans.

Also, POLITICAL footballing japes:

The current mayor of London makes the tackle which wins him the votes of youths all over the city

Two pages already!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Euro 2008 (Football)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 07:05:12 pm »

You know, if he'd judged that just slightly worse he could have done himself some serious harm.

Life's full of disappointments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up