Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead  (Read 8892 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:51 am »

pizza is a lot like sex... people want all kinds of complicated shit when the basic thing is pretty goddamn awesome.

I don't need 24 vegan toppings to have a good time, is what I am saying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 02:02:45 pm »

I have long believed that pizza was better when we were kids.  Going out for pizza was such a treat.  And Pizza Hut was seriously good way back in the day, before they added delivery and tried to compete with Domino's.

Partially it's just selective memory, and partly it's the race to the bottom, to home-deliver commodity-grade pizza cheaply.  We were at a kids' birthday party last weekend, and they had "Pizza Mia" from Pizza Hut.  If it hadn't been in a branded box I'd have thought it was cheap-ass frozen pizza from the grocery store.  So, so bad. Better than no pizza at all, but only just.

So yeah, I get exactly what Teodor is on to here.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:32 pm »

Pizza is like sex

I have long believed that pizza was better when we were kids.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 06:37:25 pm »

Pizza is like sex

I have long believed that pizza was better when we were kids. 

Well, it was pretty damn awesome when I was 19 and could go more than twice or three times without falling asleep.

/TMI off
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »

Oh, definitely. Didn't we all go to that same pizza joint?

Bob and John's La Hacienda on Hertel. Remember the Joust game?
Logged

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 06:29:09 am »

My childhood pizza place did not have a Joust game.  It did have an Arkanoid machine, which was usually out of order, and a pinball machine, which was always out of order and was based on the theme of assembling different parts of a female android.  There was also a refrigerator (a white one, not one of the ones with glass doors) that held a bunch of tubs of Ben and Jerry's and was covered in flyers held up by refrigerator magnets.  Every year around Halloween, they'd hold a "Pizzapalooza" event outside featuring local bands and a septuagenarian Elvis impersonator.  A street map on the opposite wall showed the borders of "The Pizzaland Empire" within which they would do delivery.

It was mostly just a delivery place, with a couple of those prefab round table/bench arrangements out front that were hardly ever used.  The same franchise owned a sit-down pizza place at the big intersection about a mile up the road, but I only ever went there once and it wasn't all that interesting.  After I graduated from high school, I learned that they both belonged to the brother of my AP history teacher.  My family lived just far enough away that if we ordered pizza for pickup when we left home, it was almost ready by the time we arrived, and we would just hang out with the guys behind the counter for five or ten minutes.  They actually tossed all the pizzas right behind the counter as well, then ran them through this conveyor belt oven device, so we got to watch them make more pizzas while we talked.

There was a point when I was about ten or eleven when things got even weirder.  At the time the employees there comprised a bunch of vaguely punkish college kids who spent a lot of their time on the job smoking weed around the back of the building.  They did put out a jar next to the tip jar and the UNICEF box to raise money for the "Kitty Fund" to support a stray cat that had taken up residence in the overgrown area out back, which was nice, but the quality of the service, and the pizza itself, became a lot less consistent.  There were a couple of times when they ran out of toppings and we'd end up with a "Canadian bacon" pizza made with supermarket-bought mozzarella and slices of Kraft honey ham.  Ultimately they came up with a big plan to buy the place off the teacher's brother guy and run it collectively, but that fell prey to internal squabbling (which had been ongoing, and was at least as big a reason for the crappy pizza as their being stoned all the time).  The group came apart at the seams and eventually they all left except for this one guy who'd been less of a flake than the others and had managed to stay pretty mellow about all the stupid stuff that had been going down.

The pizza place is still open.  The Arkanoid machine is gone now, but the fem-bot pinball table is still there, and still doesn't work, and to this day that one guy is still there behind the counter.  He has a wife and a kid of his own now; whether she's the breadwinner of the family or he just somehow manages to support them all on a pizza dude's salary I have no idea.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 03:51:05 am »

That's a beautiful story Felix.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 04:21:44 am »

That's a beautiful story Felix.

I wanted to say, "thanks for sharing," but I was afraid you'd take it as if I was being sarcastic. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

kira09

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »

I didn't analyze this to beggarly they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd accessible the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to beggarly that all kids go to the aforementioned affectionate of pizza joint... like a aggregate cultural experience.


_________________
Toaster
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 06:42:10 pm »

I didn't analyze this to beggarly they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd accessible the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to beggarly that all kids go to the aforementioned affectionate of pizza joint... like a aggregate cultural experience.

Uhhhh....  I'm sorry, your post is pretty incomprehensible to me.  I guess there are three possibilities here.

a) Filter victim;
b) You have poor language skills, at least as regards certain words; or
c) I'm having a stroke.

I'm really hoping it's not "C".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »

I'm thinking 'bot

Or an extremely motivated non-english speaker using ca. 1998 free web-based translation services.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 09:20:24 pm »

Or, Hammish in reply #3:

I didn't construe this to mean they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd open the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to mean that all kids go to the same kind of pizza joint... like a shared cultural experience.

And Kira09:

_________________
Toaster

This is comment spam.  However, it is comment spam in the service of toast, so I'm okay with it.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:13 pm »

fuckin CANNED
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 10:17:46 pm »

Or, Hammish in reply #3:

And Kira09:

This is comment spam.  However, it is comment spam in the service of toast, so I'm okay with it.

Make it cheese toast and we have a deal.
Logged

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: 14th May 2008 - Where the living buy bread from the already dead
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 02:12:43 am »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

cheese toast.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up