Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me, hip kids!  (Read 5361 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 03:52:51 pm »

Seconding My Morning Jacket and M. Ward, adding Grizzly Bear, Jens Lekman and Final Fantasy (the musician, not the video game).
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 04:36:35 pm »

Really? I thought that they had exactly answered the question. The question being bands that AW might like, given the two new bands that he found.


Well, the second post addressed the original question directly. But the third post professed ignorance with the bands mentioned in the first post. At which point the following posts address bands mentioned in that third post. It is possible that I misunderstand Mr Trout's post, but he begins with mention of a band mentioned in the aforementioned third post, which was mentioned in the context of a profession of ignorance of the bands AW mentioned.

But anyway, it appeared to me that the thread almost immediately wanders from the topic "bands that are like these two bands" to "bands that are liked by people who are posting in this thread."

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »

I like Mr. Trout's suggestions by and large. 

AW, if you like Iron & Wine, you should definitely check out Jose Gonzalez.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB32Qu2OrnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLGMWgHIgw

Other crap I'm listening to lately:  The National, British Sea Power, Okkervil River, the Epochs, TMBG's "The Else." 
(And of course TMBG's "Here Come the 123s.")
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:17:03 pm »

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I did actually pick the tracks I linked based on Mr. West saying he liked Iron and Wine. All the bands I posted are either newer folky or alt-country stuff. For some reason though the full mp3s did upload, but the links only play the first second or two of the song. Right-clicking and downloading the mp3 seems to work though.

Thanks for that Jose Gonzalez link - that is some good stuff right there.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 11:04:47 pm »

You know, though, I think that finding two new bands that you like is a pretty good score for, like, a year. So don't feel bad, Aug.

Excellent point!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 03:39:08 am »

There's so much old music I never listened to that by the 2020's I figure I'll get around to Sufjan Stevens.

I'm currently collecting music at the local library, 10 discs a week burned to my i-Tunes. Bela Fleck playing Bach? Check. (and pretty cool, too...) Gorillaz? Got 'em today.

For those of you interested in wasting hours and hours, check out BandtoBand.com. It will blow your mind.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 04:32:40 am »

Iron and Wine did an album with Calexico that is fuck*ng awesome.  Calexico are awesome as well when they are not playing with Iron and Wine.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 04:39:01 pm »

Passion Pit's "Sleepyhead" manages to be slightly stupid, and completely dope at the same time.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, hip kids!
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 11:00:16 pm »

Passion Pit's "Sleepyhead" manages to be slightly stupid, and completely dope at the same time.
That's pretty neat.

AW, you might like The Tallest Man on Earth.
http://hypem.com/search/the%20tallest%20man%20on%20earth/1/

The above site, Hype Machine, is a good place for checking this bands out. It aggregates songs from MP3 blogs. I think I may have mentioned this before.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up