So, we're taking a family vacation this summer. Actually, we're taking a family road trip. We're going to be visiting my family in Toledo, OH and we'll be driving from Raleigh, NC. I'm looking for fun side trips to take with my 3 year old son and my baby daughter (who will be 6 months old in July). I'm looking for recommendations for side trips in NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, NJ, WV, PA, OH, IN, KY, and TN.
Special considerations: the three year old does have some sensory issues related to autism and therefore is pretty terrified of anything too loud or too crowded. This includes (but is not limited to) kiddie rides, train whistles, and bounce houses (the whirring fans bother him). He loves animals and anything water-related.
Stuff that's already on the "potentials" list:
Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY
Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH
The National Zoo in Washington, DC (yes, we will stop and see you, Wombat, even if it means I have to be in the same room as frogs to do so.)
And we're definitely going to Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA, so I would prefer suggestions for things that are not theme parks (since we're already going to one).
I've already ruled out Hershey Park -- it seems to be geared towards older kids and adults, little P is really too young for it -- and I promised Pedro we wouldn't drag the kids along on any boring history stuff this time, so Colonial Williamsburg and most of the stuff *I* love in DC are out as well.
Not everything on the list has to be kid-oriented but it should at least be kid-friendly -- no bars, clubs, or fine dining recommendations, please.
Thanks in advance.