Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer Vacation Advice  (Read 14183 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:17 pm »

My theory about the SD zoo is that its reputation is based mainly on the wonderful weather.  Everyone who goes there remembers their visit fondly because they weren't sweating buckets or freezing to death, and were surrounded by flowers.

...tempered somewhat by the memory of being crapped on by seagulls.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 03:12:36 am »

Not to make you my nemesis or anything Ash, though the position really DOES need filling, but the SD zoo... sucks foursquare balls compared to ours.  Also, ours is free.

Seconded.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 05:42:30 am »

I'm no zoo conniesewer so...

What makes a zoo better than another zoo?

Physical size? Number of animals?

Gift shop selection?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 07:17:58 am »

My main zoo considerations are quality of habitat, variety of species, and education value of exhibits, in that order.

- Apes and other primates are territorial (and some are social) creatures, but that doesn't mean a colony can subsist on a quarter acre.
- I'd rather see one quality leopard exhibit than leopards, cheetahs, lions, tigers, pumas, panthers, bobcats, and lynx all in separate exhibits in the same area. I'd most like to see see all of those, but not if they suffer due to habitat restrictions.
- You can teach me as much as you want, it isn't vacation. Now, don't try and teach me 83 things about 1 species, if you want to do that call it an $ANIMALNAME Preserve. Teach me 5 things about 15 species. Teach me 1 thing about 83 species. Damn it to hell, teach me two things about anything, just take care of the fuckin animals.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 12:20:28 pm »

Well if we're talking about it from the visitor side of things, for me, a zoo has to have either weird animals I haven't seen before, or my special favorite weird animals. I wouldn't cross the street to see an elephant, giraffe, bear, lion, etc. at this point.
Second, "natural" exhibits are not an excuse, people need to be able to see the animals too. You have to do both, it's a zoo, not a wildlife sanctuary.
And yeah, the gift shop. You gotta have weird animal stuff in the gift shop too. If it's all elephants and pandas you're not getting any of my money.

I try to ignore the education aspects of a zoo when I am just visiting, otherwise I am critiquing everything and it turns into work, not vacation.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 01:32:37 pm »

1) Free admission

2) A pro-wombat hiring policy
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 03:20:10 pm »

Prairie dogs!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »

If I ain't too late to the party, here's a few suggestions for the Ohio leg:

The Columbus Zoo just opened a waterpark called Zoombezi Bay.  It's hell of new so you probably won't get sick from the water.  Also the zoo itself is pretty good.

If you like animals but are trying not to overdo traditional zoos, I suggest a visit to The Wilds off I-70 near Zanesville, Ohio.  It's more of a conservation center than zoo and you can take a safari-style trip through it rather than stroll from one glassed-off pen to another.

If you're going up I-77 towards Canton and Cleveland, you can make a stop at Warther Carvings, a museum of this old-time crazy guy's intricate carvings of trains and other stuff.  They also have a knife factory on-site that makes some pretty good stuff.  It's relatively quiet - not a ton of whistles or chugga-chugga, considering it's pretty much all about trains.  Easy to reach from the Dover/New Philly exits.  I suggest it to people all the time as an alternative to the Pro Football Hall of Fame a little farther north in Canton.

Akron is home to the Inventor's Hall of Fame, which includes a hands-on "workshop" where kids can break, build and otherwise play around with stuff in the name of inspiring creativity.  Also in Akron: Swenson's.  Drive up, order some cheeseburgs, and enjoy them in the comfort of your car.  If you want to visit some cool architecture, Stan Hywet Hall is the former home of the Goodyear tire family.  It's a gorgeous tudor-style mansion with huge gardens in several different styles.

If you're going to be closer to Cincy or Dayton on your way up and don't mind stopping at a store as a tourist attraction, Jungle Jim's International Market is like an amusement park of food and drink.  It's absolutely insane, some of the stuff they sell.

I'm sure I can think of more stuff in Ohio if you're interested.  My favorite Kentucky diversions are the Corvette museum in Bowling Green and the various distilleries along the Bourbon Trail. 

Memphis is probably out of the way but Graceland is cool. 

Isn't there a Mr. Rogers museum or park somewhere near Pittsburgh?



Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 05:32:14 pm »

The werther carvings are amazing.  wow!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 07:33:52 pm »

TN, those are great suggestions.  Too bad you were about a week late with them.  However, because my thesis defense was scheduled for the week of our return, the drive home was sort of rushed anyway, and we didn't stop anywhere except a Days Inn. 

We do make the trip to/from Toledo a few times a year, and our nest journey is scheduled for Thanksgiving-time.  Finding indoor activities to distract the kids from the 12+ hour drive is a particular challenge, and that inventor's museum sounds...just so awesome.  And we do take I-77 to 80/90 so anything in the Akron/Canton/Cleveland area is right on the way. 

We have been known to go I-75 through Columbus on occasion, but it doesn't save any time and it's more difficult driving.  However, we might consider the Columbus Zoo as a side trip next summer.  (I doubt the wather park will be much fun in November.)  And I will suggest it to my brother and his family, who drive down over spring break every year. 

The vacation, incidentally, was a wild success.  Photos here.  (Same ones I linked to in another thread, so you can skip them if you've already seen.)  We are looking forward to doing it again next year...but next time, we'll hit Sesame Place on return trip instead of the first leg.  Better not to play all your aces on the first hand, you know? 

Any other suggestions for next time? 

I'm full of suggestions for anyone traveling through North Carolina, incidentally. 

(side_show edit: fixed the link to pics)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:21:19 pm by side_show »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:08 pm »

I realize it's too far the wrong way, but Thanksgiving time (I think the weekend before) is for the Mickey penis Parade in downtown Chicago, a day of fun festivities on the Miracle Mile culminated by a parade featuring cool Disney floats and ending with Sorceror's Apprentice Mickey pointing his magic wand at sections of Michigan Avenue to make the Christmas lights come on. Followed by low-altitude fireworks between the big buildings over the river.

It's awesome.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up