Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen  (Read 6168 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:57 am »

While i was out living on my own in NC i found i can get creative when im grocery shopping and i loved it, plus it was cheaper than microwavable stuff i normally eat at home (except for ramen, that stuff is unbeatable. Pennies for a tasty meal).
Now im home and im gonna hit the store for some sammich fixins.
Any recommendations for meat/cheese/other combos that go beyond the classics?

P.S. Speaking of Ramen, any special fave recipes? I love experimenting with ramen, all adding chicken and onion and peppers, vegies, and seasonings that aint in the packet.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:58:04 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:53:08 am »

the "small times fave": bologna, kraft singles, potato chips on white bread

a good play on an italian sub: capicolla, prosciutto, provolone, toasted in a soft bun, then add arugula and roma tomato

the "whaaaa?": gardenburger, bacon, mayo, romaine, beefsteak on whole wheat - sofa king great

a club sandwich is easy and delicious: turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo on white. double-decker.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:21:49 pm »

If Wigu is to be believed then Taco shell + hot dog + Mac & Cheese = mouthgasm
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:21 pm »

i think wigu knows what he's talkin about.

also, to make your sandwich like three more kinds of awesome, lightly apply salt & pepper after spreading your condiment of choice on one slice of bread
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:48:46 pm »

also, to make your sandwich like three more kinds of awesome, lightly apply salt & pepper after spreading your condiment of choice on one slice of bread
IT never occurred to me to experiment with various spices in the sauce. tired some curry powder in my sammich today, good results.
Also, Muenster gets an A+ from this guy.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

Curry powder is the reason that chicken salad sandwiches were invented.

My favorite sub is still roast beef, turkey, muenster, american, russian dressing, and LTM. I know american cheese is terrible but the sandwich just doesn't work without it.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »

I just had Muenster recently.  That stuff is awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:25:16 am »

I once thought I was going to open a restaurant of only out-of-the ordinary sandwiches as I strongly dislike processed lunch meats, but nixed the idea.  Here's a few of my trademark recipes, all are for one sandwich at a time:

Egg based:

What's Gotten India - whisk together 2-3 large eggs, a handful's worth of diced precooked garlic sausage, an amount of diced cubes of cream cheese equal in sized and amount to the sausage, curry, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.  Pour , ensuring the sausage and cheese are evenly distributed.  Flip when the bottom side is solid through to the middle, careful to keep it all in one piece.  Cook until egg is done through. Serve on bread of your choice - Nan is a fun option.

Crab Francaise - whisk together 2-3 eggs with a handful of crab or imitation crab, herbs provincial, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  In a small (6 inch) oiled iron castiron skillet heated to medium high, saute a handful of diced onions until lightly browned, lower heat to medium, add egg mixture cook until base is solid through to centre, flip, sprinkle with grated cheddar or cheese of your choice, cover.  When cheese is melted and egg is cooked through, serve on toasted bread with mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.


giraffe based:

Crab salad:  Mash crab or imitation crab with mayonnaise, salt and pepper with a dash of garlic powder and enjoy on bread of your choice.  Another variation of this is to add some grated parmigiana, mix, spread on crusty bread and toast in a toaster oven until heated through and enjoy open faced.

Tuna melt:  mash tuna with mayonnaise, salt and pepper, spread on bread of your choice, top with thinly sliced tomato slices and the cheese of your choice.  Toast until melted and heated through and enjoy open faced.

West Coast:  (for this one to work, you've got to have a piece of precooked, boneless salmon steak.  I don't recommend canned, so I consider this one seasonal - we have a great period at the end of spring when salmon is very cheap, so this is a great way to use up leftovers from the previous nights bbq'd whole salmon!)  by layer 1) Base - hearty slice of bread that can hold up to a thick sandwich, lightly spread with mayonnaise.  2) Cooked salmon.  3) sliced Tomato 4) Thinly sliced avocado 5) 2-3 precooked large peeled shrimp sliced in half lengthwise.  6) Lettuce.  7) Hearty-bread lightly spread with mayonnaise.  This one requires tooth picks to hold it together and careful cutting to keep it on one piece when halving it.

Meat based:

What am I.... Add 3-4 slices of bacon to an unoiled iron cast on medium (the oil from the bacon is all you need).  Cook bacon until cooked but not crispy.  Remove bacon, cut it into bite small pieces, set aside leave grease in skillet.  Add handful of onion, saute in bacon grease, add diced raw liver, cook on medium.  Return bacon when liver is almost cooked.  Drain if necessary, but liver will probably soak up most bacon grease.  When liver is done, add a small amount of bbq sauce, mix spoon on to a hoagie.  enjoy.

Oh... sorry, I have lots more, but I gotta run.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30:10 am »

My favorite sandwich ever, the Croque Monsieur:

2 slices Jewish rye
2 slices baby swiss
1/4 lb. shaved honey ham

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat.  Spread butter on one slice of bread and place it butter-side-down in the pan.  Layer cheese and ham.  Butter second slice of bread and place butter-side-up on top of the sandwich.  When cheese is melted, flip.  Cut in half and serve with chips. 

Also delicious with dijon mustard, if you're into that sort of thing. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:41:46 am »

You know what else is good?  Smells' post reminded me of how much I love a poached egg with Canadian bacon on a toasted English muffin and a little hollandaise sauce.  It's something you might make for Company, though.  Like if you need a nice brunch for a special lady.  It's a bit much for one person, with the poaching and the sauce and the frying of the bacon. 

Hollandaise sauce is fairly easy to make at home, BTW.  Make it first and keep it warm by placing it in a ceramic bowl over warm water.  Do not attempt to microwave hollandaise sauce if it gets cold.  Never mind how I know this. 

The recipe I linked to is the best one I could find online, but there may be a variation in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything that involves a blender.  I seem to remember making hollandaise in my blender one time, and it being quite good.  Also, I put dill weed in mine.  Dill + Eggs = Yummah. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:05:32 am »

My favorite sandwich ever, the Croque Monsieur:

2 slices Jewish rye
2 slices baby swiss
1/4 lb. shaved honey ham

Also delicious with dijon mustard, if you're into that sort of thing. 

I officially hate every part of this sandwich. If you served it with a pickle and cole slaw you'd have some kind of lunch plate of doom.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:13:10 am »

Curry powder is the reason that chicken salad sandwiches were invented.

My favorite sub is still roast beef, turkey, muenster, american, russian dressing, and LTM. I know american cheese is terrible but the sandwich just doesn't work without it.

S.I.L.F.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:05:31 am »

S.I.L.F.

And I forgot to mention to park it in the broiler for just a bit to melt the cheese.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:34:22 pm »

My favorite sandwich ever, the Croque Monsieur:

2 slices Jewish rye
2 slices baby swiss
1/4 lb. shaved honey ham

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat.  Spread butter on one slice of bread and place it butter-side-down in the pan.  Layer cheese and ham.  Butter second slice of bread and place butter-side-up on top of the sandwich.  When cheese is melted, flip.  Cut in half and serve with chips. 

Also delicious with dijon mustard, if you're into that sort of thing. 

I do a Circumstances version that uses wheat bread or a kaiser roll, Kraft singles and chipped chopped ham.  Pile the meat and cheese onto the bread and microwave for 40 seconds.  Serve with a cold pickle spear.  It's what I feed myself if I know the lady is not joining me for dinner.

Another fave: Pastrami, dipped in hot mustard and wrapped around a soft hot pretzel.  I could eat ten of those a day.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and Cheese 2.0 + Ramen
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 02:49:44 pm »

Here is my only important sandwich knowledge: When making grilled cheese, don't melt the butter in the pan. Instead, soften it (leave it out at room temp for a while, or microwave very gently) and spread it on the bread itself. Then put the buttered-outside sandwich in a hot pan.

I know, it sounds like a little more trouble, but DO IT. It is a million times better.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up