Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy  (Read 3489 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 08:42:46 am »

Times they have a changed as well... no doubt that in history half the joy of the day was the anticipation of finally finding out what was underneath that dress and all. It is like a reward for having put up with all of that party and bride stuff.

But these days, where is my reward?

I think that my father did something right with his wedding - he proposed, she accepted, and then he went away for three months while she planned the wedding and did not return until a couple of weeks before the day itself. Thankfully my mother is the forgiving type. Which must also be how he didn't get divorced straight after the comment "the only woman I've have to marry to get into bed" in his wedding speech.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 06:57:29 pm »

Man, I love the Chris Ware-esque titles on the last five panels. "Soon. Then. Graphic Design. So."  It's like poetry.
Logged

HudsonVC

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 07:10:49 pm »

We served a trio of wedding pies at ours, all different recipes.

The gratitude on the faces of our guests was absolutely priceless.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 07:23:54 pm »

My parents had a traditional tiered wedding cake, but it was triangular.

I don't think I'm going to be able to one-up that.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 07:55:13 pm »

As I said in another thread I just went to wedding on Sunday where the couple sent identical chocolate cake recipes to 10 of their friends, and each one brought a cake to the reception. So they ended up with 10 mostly-identical cakes for free.

Plus fresh strawberries from the farm next door.
Logged

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 04:52:32 pm »

The cake is the best part of the wedding! We totally skimped on everything BUT the cake. YUM!
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 01:07:54 pm »

The cake is the best part of the wedding! We totally skimped on everything BUT the cake. YUM!

That's the spirit.  If I ever get married it's gonna be at a justice of the peace.  But goddammit there's gonna be cake.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 11:16:45 pm »

That's the spirit.  If I ever get married it's gonna be at a justice of the peace.  But goddammit there's gonna be cake.

Justice of the piece, then? Yuk yuk yuk! I'm sleepy...
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: 29 May 2008 - A Prison For Men Who Would Be Happy
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 11:24:31 pm »

Last year I participated in a couple of weddings.

One was sort-of on the frugal, with lots of donations and gifted attributes, and a pot-luck dinner we all contributed to. It went well.

The next was out in the wine country in the ruins of an old mission, with a killer reception that featured an amazing butter nut risotto. The afterparty was drum-n-bass and ecstasy oriented. Overall it was quite fun.

The third was a ceremony performed by Elvis (Blue Lagoon theme) with showgirls, in Vegas. I was the best man, in a hawaiian shirt and an AC/DC "Highway to Hell" tie. It was followed by an incredible dinner and a lot of genuine celebration in spite of the artificial nature of Vegas. It was the best wedding I've ever been a part of, and a real bona fide celebration of love and unity.

This Friday I'm best man in another event, best described as "when white people and tradition attack". No one's happy about the marriage, the family's are at each other's throats, it's at some overly expensive restaurant that threatens legal action if they catch you bringing in any food or drink, in the middle of a desert, on one of the hottest days of the year, in fifty pounds of polyester because it's "traditional".

I. Am. Not. Enthused.

The lady and I have decided that, if we decide to officially tie a knot, we're throwing a kegger. We'd throw a techno-hippy raver campout in the forest, but the families probably wouldn't understand, so we're willing to make some accommodations.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up