See, when Pedro first told me what she said, I thought, What's the big deal? She's invoking a cultural touchstone to point out that historically, the democratic candidacy has been decided much later in the year than it has been for the last few election cycles. I mean, a lot of people remember RFK's assassination, so it makes sense that she'd use that as an example of someone who was still running for president well into the summer of an election year.
I've heard people invoke the date of JFK's assassination to point out that presidential bids starting a year before the election is an old practice -- Kennedy was, after all, campaigning in Dallas on that fateful November day -- so it made sense to me that Clinton was doing the same thing with RFK's assassination. I'm not Hillary's biggest fan or anything, but I just didn't read any malice into the statement whatsoever. Pedro had to explain to me what all the fuss was about.
Guess I'm in the minority, though.