Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth  (Read 2987 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »

Hell yeah. Anyone ever tried this one? It's a survival/horror/sometimes shooter game for Xbox and Win PC (I played the PC version), based on the RPG that's based on the works of H. P. Lovecraft. It's very atmospheric, ranging from eerie to just absolutely nerve-wrecking. The gameplay is at times a bit awkward, but nothing that detracts from the experience.

You're a detective that starts investigating a missing person case... in Innsmouth (if you're not familiar with H. P. Lovecraft: Not the type of town you'd wanna find yourself at night). It's not too long before he starts stumbling upon things that man wasn't meant to know. I'm a huge Lovecraft enthusiast, so it's no wonder I loved it, but I was wondering if anyone here had played it too. Heres the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

Also:

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:29:08 pm »

What Lovecraft would you recommend? He looks intriguing.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »

Well, you could start with a short story called http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecolouroutofspace.htm ("The Colour Out of Space"). It's pretty brutal and relentless, in the sense that the protagonists start sort of well off but then there's a steady descent into despair and destruction. No hope, no nothing.

Then you cold check the so-called "classics", which delve more into his ad hoc mythology: "The Call Of Cthulhu" http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecallofcthulhu.htm; "At The Mountain of Madness" http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/mountainsofmaddness.htm - which runs a bit longer than your usual Lovecraft tale. These three stories should tell exactly what the man was about. Also, it seems Guillermo del Toro is trying to film "At the Mountains...", the news of which sent ripples all over the horror geekdom...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 12:54:05 am »

help

Cheers me dears, I'll get started.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:22:18 am »

Looks pretty eldritch. And Cyclopean. Will there be men of science in it? I'd like to be shewn some more of that. (Four Lovecraft stylistic references. Pretty good, if I say so myself.)
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:03 pm »

Looks pretty eldritch. And Cyclopean. Will there be men of science in it? I'd like to be shewn some more of that. (Four Lovecraft stylistic references. Pretty good, if I say so myself.)
You forgot to date your post 300 years in the past, so that it would have been written before the American Revolution.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:58:07 pm »

I am posting from 1970

i am at a fcking good new yaears party

allen-poe is makin out with many fine ladies

Which caused him to lose his sanity, and dream of things no sane mind can comprehend.

bitches
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:20:51 pm »

Looks pretty eldritch. And Cyclopean. Will there be men of science in it? I'd like to be shewn some more of that. (Four Lovecraft stylistic references. Pretty good, if I say so myself.)

"A BLOOOO A BLA BLOO BLOO BLOO OOO" can count as a Lovecraftian thing to say, too, I guess...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:57:21 pm »

So, Judy, read some? Tell us!
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up