Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss  (Read 10150 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 01:42:43 am »

But if you don't and you end up with six Boston terriers in a bowl like that, I'll take ALL of them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Liz

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 03:34:52 am »

Okay, I am a long-time lurker, and I am so so sorry that my being motivated to post here for the first time is in a random political thread. You guys are awesome! Seriously!

But this:

I want to move to Japan. I want to live in a country where the trains run on time?  Oh, wait, one where there actually are trains, even. They wouldn't put up with this shit. At least if they did screw up this bad, they'd be mortified and commit harakiri. Is that too much to ask?

...just spurs me to feel I need to post. I have my Bachelor's in Japanese, I work as a translator, I've spent a lot of time Japan, and I have a number of friends/roommates who have lived there in the span of years.

The trains in Japan do not always run on time. It's true enough that trains rarely run late because of infrastructure difficulties, but when they do not run on time, the primary cause is because people are jumping on the tracks to kill themselves. It's a phenomenon common enough to have its own term (tobikomi-jisatsu; "plunging suicide") and its own official government euphamism (jishin-jiku; "human accident").

Japan has one of highest suicide rates of any first-world country, and it's largely because of those personal standards they hold themselves to. (I don't know if you were being serious with the line about them committing harakiri if they messed up, wombat, but it's honestly pretty accurate.) The Japanese are masters of the art of suicide, both grotesque (as the farmer last month who drank a bottle of pesticide and then threw it up, poisoning at least 50 around him) and sensational (as the newscaster last month who suffocated herself in her car several weeks after posting a disturbing note in her blog about how she had become a demon).

Seriously. I mean, I love Japan; there's a lot to love about Japan. It's a beautiful and fantastic and very efficient country. But there's also a lot about them that is not to be envied.

Anyway sorry I'll go now and let you guys talk about puppies I promise.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 04:08:49 am »

A quality first post

Hi. Have a seat. Try the veal. Or sushi, if that's your preference.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:02 am »

Hi. Have a seat. Try the veal.
Try the can.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 11:19:36 am »


Seriously. I mean, I love Japan; there's a lot to love about Japan. It's a beautiful and fantastic and very efficient country. But there's also a lot about them that is not to be envied.


I know.  But dammit, at least when the trains are late because someone jumped on the tracks that's a good reason.

Also, black sesame ice cream. Why can't we have that here, too?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 03:20:54 pm »

Try the can.

Or better yet, try it in the can.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 04:09:58 pm »

Or better yet, try it in the can.

Are you offering? Because I've had my eye on you for some time.

I think it was the Indian buffet photo that got me.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 04:11:57 pm »

http://wbztv.com/local/gloucester.high.school.2.751873.html
I dont know what it is, but this really hits me in the gut.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 06:20:26 pm »

Are you offering? Because I've had my eye on you for some time.

I think it was the Indian buffet photo that got me.

It's better to give than receive.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 12:26:38 am »

http://wbztv.com/local/gloucester.high.school.2.751873.html
I dont know what it is, but this really hits me in the gut.

Sad state of affairs, yes, but I have to admit, the first thing I thought when I read

Quote
"We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," he told Time.

was, "Dammit, where were these girls when I was 24? I owned a condo when I was 24."
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 12:47:04 am »

Yeah but none of them were even 16, young virile etc. be damned have you spoken to a 15 year old girl lately?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 04:14:11 am »

Yeah but none of them were even 16, young virile etc. be damned have you spoken to a 15 year old girl lately?

I don't think he wants to have a conversation with them. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

"Dammit, where were these girls when I was 24? I owned a condo when I was 24."

Yea, maybe im just jealous.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 04:49:26 am »

I don't think he wants to have a conversation with them. 

I don't know I'd want to run the risk. They might open their mouths at any time.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This country is going to hell in a handbasket: Discuss
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 04:53:07 am »

I don't know I'd want to run the risk. They might open their mouths at any time.

Yes, well we know what to do in that case.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up