Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Food question.  (Read 2314 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Food question.
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:20:16 pm »

I'm prepping for our trip, and to save money, time, and frustration with two young kids on the road, I'm packing sandwiches so we can eat whenever the mood strikes.  (Or, more accurately, when both kids are finally passed out for just one motherfuck*ng minute seriously Pedro who died and made you king of driving the whole way you sit back here with these screaming children for just ten minutes and see how long it takes you to blow your top and can you just pass me a sandwich i don't care what kind no not that one and a soda too oh fuck it tunagiraffe is fine just pass it back quick before they wake up.) 

Anyway, my question is, we're going to be on the road for three days, and some of the sandwiches will have lettuce on them.  When I was a kid and my Mom did this, I never ate lettuce on my sandwiches, so I don't know how long it will keep in sandwich form.  How far in advance can I make these sandwiches?  I'd like to do them early next week, but some of them will be a week old by the time they get eaten, and I don't know if that's a good idea. 

I'm taking mayo on the side, so bread sogginess shouldn't be an issue.  I'm just worried about the lettuce getting all brown and wilty. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Food question.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:24:12 pm »

I'd keep lettuce on the side as well.  Pack it separately in a ziploc bag, lest it make your sandwiches soggy and yucky.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Food question.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 04:27:16 pm »

Love those family vacations.

I think lettuce is likely to make the sandwiches soggy. I don't think mayo in moderation is as much of a culprit - the fat would actually prevent watery things from soaking into the bread. Old cookbooks recommend buttering both side of the bread (the insides of both slices) for that reason.

I actually can't think of many things nastier than a week old sandwich. And how are you keeping all of this stuff cold?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Food question.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 04:33:45 pm »

Love those family vacations.

I think lettuce is likely to make the sandwiches soggy. I don't think mayo in moderation is as much of a culprit - the fat would actually prevent watery things from soaking into the bread. Old cookbooks recommend buttering both side of the bread (the insides of both slices) for that reason.

I actually can't think of many things nastier than a week old sandwich. And how are you keeping all of this stuff cold?

Electric cooler, plugged into the cigarette lighter. 

Hm.  Looks like I got the answer I was looking for, much quicker than I was expecting.  Include the mayo, lettuce on the side?  Sounds swell enough to me. 

Thanks, dudes. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Food question.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:46:21 pm »

Heh, well, naw, actually, it's a Jayell is dating herself via antiquated vocabulary thing. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Food question.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »

::Pours a beer out for his fallen homie, the car cigarette lighter::
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Food question.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:05:43 pm »

Instant Memory Bring Back: 

I brought my car in for a paint job.  Those assholes stole my car's lighter, the change from the glove box and my bobble head Apu.  What the hell?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Food question.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:11:19 pm »

"have a cock" or "are a dick" it all depends which side you're on.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up