I can see the logic behind these ideas, but isn't a really bad thing to do things like this? Short-term you might more-or-less effectively stop one criminal, but A) It is going to breed a lot of hate and resentment within him towards the police and B) It really fuck*ng undermines the authority of the justice system. How the fuck is the situation going to improve in the judicial system if the police are sending out a message that the law system is fundamentally flawed?
Then again, I'm not a cop, and if they are happy with their methods then perhaps I'm wrong to disagree. Unless of course:
you're of a personality where you want that kind of power over people and you'll devote your life to getting it, you're probably damaged in a way where you will want to misuse it and... will misuse it.
There are a lot of exceptions, of course, but in my experience... and I did work as a 911 operator for a while so I have a lot of experience in this matter... that's what they are.
Exceptions.
Most Americans I know seem to feel that way, which is in fair contrast to Britain, generally. Although I'm not exposed often to police jaded and brutalised by their job, as I live in a relatively crime-free area, most people I know are fairly respectful towards police. It may just be the lack of gunnery; my natural instinct is to feel uncomfortable around a man with a weapon that could kill me with one squeeze of a trigger, police here are seen as having to deal with dangerous situations with on-the-spot logic and non-lethal force, but who's to say if they had a gun they wouldn't just go for the boomstick option? It would certainly be tempting. You do get armed police here but you never seem them on the street, they're highly specialist.
I bet it's 'Traffic Cop' programs. Is is true in America they show the policeman chasing down 'perps' and administering on-the-spot correction (beating)? Because that would be a job showcase for violent types, I'd think. In Britain we never get to see that, the crimes are rubbish (speeding, loitering, noisiness) and the punishments, at most, are just a night in the cells or a cheeky clip 'round the ear.
One of the comments brought up an interesting (and unsourced, possibly unreliable) statistic: that in domestic abuse cases arrests increase the likelihood of re-offense if the offender is unemployed and but decrease re-offense if the offender is employed. I don't think the thing to take away from that is that we shouldn't prosecute wife beaters just in case they do it again and without a source I don't really trust this kind of statistic but it did get me thinking about where we strike a balance between pragmatism and idealism.
I think in most cases, crime is caused by social deprivation SOMETIMES curable by improving the prospects of the criminal. The difficulty is that the situation is not a blanket one; some criminals may be less tempted to re-offend if you can turn them to express themselves through art, some will paint the pretty pictures to get out of jail and then act the baddie again. Some will use a job and housing to settle down, some will see it as an opportunity for easy cash for drugs etc. Nonetheless I think it is a far better answer than cramming them into jails, if the jail is too soft they mayl come out re-criminalised, if it is too harsh it raises serious moral questions on society. 'Judge a society on how it treats its condemned' or some such.
Also, the problem of rehabilitation is that some people will misinterpret it as rewarding criminals for being bad.
I should probably spread my amount of posting over multiple posts.