Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: George Carlin Dead.  (Read 2724 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
George Carlin Dead.
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:59:27 am »

Damnit y'know?
I mean he was old, it was coming but it still hurts to know that the world is short one of it's greatest acerbic old cranks tonight.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:26:06 am »

Ah jeez. One of the last of the good ones.

Ain't nobody seeming to fill these vacuums anymore... for Hunter S, for Vonnegut and now for Carlin? Dammit.

Sleep well, motherfucker, you were mostly right about this life and this human race.

(We need a day of inappropriate swearing in public places devoted to him or something.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:54:49 am »

(We need a day of inappropriate swearing in public places devoted to him or something.)

I was thinking a day of not humouring anyone's stupid shit under the guise of being polite.
I am not suggesting we do that here.... I like it here.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:21 pm »

Wasn't it just announced that he's winning this years Twain prize? That about sucks for timing.

Goodbye, Mr. Conductor. I'll always remember you mocking my extremely non-manly first name.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:22 pm »

Seventy-one? 

That ain't old. 

That ain't old if you're George Motherfuck*ng Carlin. 

I'll be pouring out a beer tonight, I guess. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:02:01 pm »

Also: BoingBoing has a great video up.  Get it while you can. 

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/goodbye-george-carli.html
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:33 pm »

Also: BoingBoing has a great video up.  Get it while you can. 

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/goodbye-george-carli.html

Hilarious.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »

My dad had "Toledo Window Box" and "FM&AM" on vinyl.  I listened to them at an age at which it was probably inappropriate.

Still, I freakin' loved that guy.

"Tonight's forecast:  Dark!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »

By the way, which are you:  Fuckin' Stupid, Full of Shit, or Fuckin' Nuts?
I'm full of shit, personally.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:29:01 am »

What a lousy way to start the day.  RIP George.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin Dead.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:14:38 am »

I've watched a lot of his old specials recently, and I can't tell if they seem not-that-special because everyone else copied them, or because all I'd seen of them before were the absolute best bits.

That said, Carlin's best was motherfuck*ng perfect.  I can't think of higher praise.  I said a brief prayer to Joe Pesci for him when I heard the news.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up