Please, don't get me started on pandas. The rest of us who don't work with pandas are pretty tired of all the attention they get. There is no evidence that they bring in a lot of money that then trickles down to the rest of us, or anything like that. There's a lot of resentment. It is clear that all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
I was all for free zoos before I worked here. But we are so underfunded, and even if we just charged a little it would make such a big difference. It's not as bad as the Washington Post would like you to think, but it could be a whole lot better if we weren't understaffed and working with such a deteriorating physical plant. Y'all may indeed pay for it with your tax dollars, but we're not getting enough of them.
But, I don't think an admission charge will ever happen. It was a huge controversy when they just wanted to put donation boxes at the museums downtown, because it was seen as a first step to charging admission. Like when I was a kid in NYC, the Met really just took donations, and you could put down what one of my teachers called 'a polite quarter'. But this gradually evolved into what is now a mandatory admission charge.
I didn't hear the NPR piece, I'll have to go look for it.