Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...  (Read 3445 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:50:10 am »

That guy went to Dartmouth to learn how to do that.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:08:57 pm »

Matt Groening on performance artists:  "Of all the things I could be doing with my life, why am I standing here on a street corner slapping meat on my head?"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 05:34:37 pm »

And I thought I had strange friends.  Yes, the nose is the best.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:03:37 am »

I once saw a lady lick a large piece of chocolate into a self-portrait-sculpture of herself.

Also a man who sat in a bath tub full of water, with the dedication that he would not exit the tub until he had drunk all the liquid it contained, while admitting he would likely need to urinate into the water over time, and possibly even defecate.  He was fully clothed, and I hoped he was wearing a diaper under his #####, but didn't even sort of want to ask.  It was early on in the performance, and the water looked clean and drinkable, and he sipped it from a tea cup. 

Also, some of my friends were once hired by a performance artist who used and entire government issued art grant to buy scratch and win tickets.  My friends were paid to scratch lotto tickets during live "performances."

Also, I participated in a performance art piece where people were to come to an art gallery, pick out a hand made bunny sculpture, keep it with them for a year, then return the bunny, having written a story on the large tag around their neck.  The bunny lived with me during a pivotal year in my life, then I wrote my story on it and returned it.  I remember briefly thinking I just wanted to keep it, and the gallery had none of my information... but I did return it, with a sweet tale of how we used to torture our cats while saying "be the bunny!  Be the bunny!"  The exhibit went on to other parts of the world, and had been other places before.  I had chosen a bunny who hadn't ever been taken for a year, but there were some that had already had one or two earlier homes.  I wonder where that bunny is now, and if he's still covered in cat fur.

Also, I participated in another performance art thing, where my voice was recorded as I told a story.  Apparently my story was then broadcast over the loud speakers in the largest art gallery in the area along with art related to the same themes as the story while a couple of my favorite singers also performed.  This all happened while I was away, and it always feels odd that I was present, yet absent at this.  I could have met two of my favorite performers, but I was somewhere else, working on a play at the time.  It's nice to know they listened to my story though, especially since I'd enjoyed so much of their music.  Sort of a decent exchange.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:15:52 am »


Also, some of my friends were once hired by a performance artist who used and entire government issued art grant to buy scratch and win tickets.  My friends were paid to scratch lotto tickets during live "performances."

I know a couple people who are spectacular artists. They perform at this bar down the street every weekday.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:39:23 am »

Also, some of my friends were once hired by a performance artist who used and entire government issued art grant to buy scratch and win tickets.  My friends were paid to scratch lotto tickets during live "performances."

Shit like this is why people want to shut down the NEA.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:05:07 pm »

I don't know what the NEA is, but probably a grant funding body I'm guessing?

As I understood it, the point of the performance/exhibit was to push people to discuss public art funding.  Especially since a good portion of government funding comes directly from the provincial lottery here.  As a side note, all the winnings were used to buy more lottery tickets until all the money was gone, and visitors to the exhibit were invited to scratch off cards also.  the exhibit was incredibly successful in creating discussion about publically funded art.  Locally, the way art is (or isn't) funded and valued publically has been a major talking point during elections, budget announcements, etc. ever since.  I'm really glad for that.  What we value as a culture, what we don't, and why... these things are important for the public to have a say in and are on my mind whenever I work under a grant.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:52:26 pm »

My review of this video is the same as for most of the movies I've ever seen: It's about twice as long as it needs to be.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 04:42:50 pm »

I don't know what the NEA is, but probably a grant funding body I'm guessing?

As I understood it, the point of the performance/exhibit was to push people to discuss public art funding.  Especially since a good portion of government funding comes directly from the provincial lottery here.  As a side note, all the winnings were used to buy more lottery tickets until all the money was gone, and visitors to the exhibit were invited to scratch off cards also.  the exhibit was incredibly successful in creating discussion about publically funded art.  Locally, the way art is (or isn't) funded and valued publically has been a major talking point during elections, budget announcements, etc. ever since.  I'm really glad for that.  What we value as a culture, what we don't, and why... these things are important for the public to have a say in and are on my mind whenever I work under a grant.
The NEA is the national endowment for the arts. We, The Taxpayers Of America, blow hundreds of millions of dollars a year on the NEA.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 07:38:47 pm »

Ah, we blow trillions on war.

Nothing wrong with throwing a half billion at artists or twenty billion at NASA or whatever when we're already throwing trillions at war.

Nothing worse than being penny wise and pound fuck*ng foolish, especially as a government.

Akin to standing around with nine people and watching some tenth motherfucker stealing your whole pie and then, instead of chasing down that son of a bitch thief, fighting with the other eight over the remaining crumbs.

Had the pie not been stolen, the crumbs would'a been thrown out with the aluminum plate, y'know.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 08:40:55 pm »

Akin to standing around with nine people and watching some tenth motherfucker stealing your whole pie and then, instead of chasing down that son of a bitch thief, fighting with the other eight over the remaining crumbs.

Q&CFT.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:05:29 pm »

Thats the silliest argument to come out of you yet. "Were already flushing money down the toilet, whats a couple million more!"
What makes you think that people are any more ok with spending "trillions" (we dont actually spend trillions on defense, the total defense budget is less than 500 billion) than they are on spending millions on government grants for art?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 10:32:54 pm »

I see no problem with the statement:

"Hey, how about we worry about the things we're spending most of our money on that are only making matters worse before we worry about the very small amount of money on making things slightly more pleasant?"

Nothing at all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 03:11:02 am »

*sighs, give up on another thread*
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up