Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Knight anyone?  (Read 13245 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
The Dark Knight anyone?
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:41:40 pm »

Considering how much I hated Batman Begins (I hated it a lot, if you're wondering), it's utterly annoying and ridiculous how fuck*ng pumped I am to see this one. Gah! Has anyone seen this yet, or has plans to see it? I'll catch it tomorrow and then I'll let the internet know...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:50:34 pm »

Everyone I know who's seen it so far loved the hell out of it but thought that it was really really dark, much darker than they originally thought.

I reckon I'll see a matinee of it Sunday. I hate seeing movies with big "opening weekend" crowds.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:31 pm »

This movie has been printing me piles of cash on hsx.com and CNBC just did a story about its impact on national productivity so Id say theres a more than fair amount of hype out there. I'm with LFM though on the crowd thing. Ill see it next week some time.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:24:27 am »

I saw it last night (which was MEANT to be opening night until they put in some wednesday night sessions after I pre-purchased my tickets and couldn't refund them damnit) and it was actually really good. I've been hearing a lot of hype for it so I was excited but I assumed I pretty much knew how it was going to shake out. I was thrilled therefore when it actually surprised me more than once, a couple of things happened in there I just didn't expect and it all worked really well.
I didn't leave feeling like it was a spiritual experience or anything but it is a very well crafted movie and looking back it reinforces it's themes really well without being too heavy handed about it (for a superhero movie).

My only criticism is that it is loooooong and you feel it. Not because you get bored but because they hype the action up early and keep it going at a pretty steady pace so I kept trying to decide if this scene would be the climax or not.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:29:22 am »

I'm looking forward to owning an unreasonable number of DVD copies of this film when it comes out.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:43:45 am »

Also people should check out the watchmen trailer, apparently it was ahead of the dark knight in the US but we didn't see it here.
Luckily the internet has my back.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 07:09:21 am »

Goddamn it, the Watchmen movie was not supposed to happen until I was famous enough to play the second fatter Nite Owl.

I was also supposed to play Mark in "RENT" but... that's probably good because, like, as much as I was born to play that role as well, playing a guy in a rubber owl suit would be a lot more masculine than being in "RENT".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »

LFM, do you like rent?

Because if you do I will have a lot of opinions about it, as is my wont.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:21:30 am »

I enjoyed the energy of RENT, certainly, and the songs were catchy.

The "book" as it were was... uneven, of course, and ridiculously unrealistic about living on the edge and living with disease.

But if you give yourself into the vibe and the tunes and glaze over the junior-high-ish-ness of its rebellious spirit...

I enjoyed it. The movie version, less so.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 08:24:09 pm »

They got the Joker right.  This is exceptionally difficult, even in comic form, but they did it for this movie.

The movie was so long and dark that it took me a good half hour to adjust to daylight outside, but it was still really good.

Did I mention they hit the mark on the Joker?

'cause they did.

And that never happens.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 07:38:15 am »

This was the perfect Batman film. They got everything right but the bat-crest on the uniform, and Bale's Batman voice grates a bit in a monologue. (I liked Batman Begins too, but I never knew much about Ra's Al Ghul).

Everything else - the Joker, his scams and escapades, Two-Face, the look and feel of Gotham, the tools and tricks... and the performances, most of all. Bale's a great Bruce and Batman, Maggie Gyllenhaal (sp) gives Rachel infinite more depth than Katie Holmes (granted, small feat), Eckhart is superb as both Dent and Two-Face, and Ledger is just absolutely fuck*ng astonishing as the Joker. His second scene (with the magic trick) floored me in a way I haven't experienced in years. And while Memento showed the world that Chris Nolan is a good director, this movie might cement him in the hall of Great Directors - at least, if he can follow this one up with something outside the bat-world that's just as impressive. There were a lot of little touches that made this film this good.

The only complaint I've heard is that Nolan has fucked with the backstory too much. On one hand, I agree, but on the other hand, I don't really give a rat's ass. He's made a better Batman film than Burton now, and much of it relied on that fuck*ng-around he did. He's improved it.

And now, after seeing this, I'm kind of disappointed not to have ever really watched a Heath Ledger movie before. Looking at his filmography, I can see why I skipped them. Anybody know of any performances he gave that would be of a similar caliber?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »

Anybody know of any performances he gave that would be of a similar caliber?

Yeah.  Brokeback Mountain.  Have fun.

Mega-dittoes on the Dark Knight sentiments.

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:00:09 am »

Just saw. Really good.

Only difficulty was that most of the people I talked to made it sound like a fuckin' religious experience and so... like... when it's only a really really good movie, you have this weird minor let-down thing going on.

Some of the double-switches were too telegraphed for my taste but... I know that some people like that sort of thing so I might not be the target audience for that kinda writing.

Amazing Joker, of course. Almost can't do a story with a "young" Joker for a looooooong fuckin' time.

Maybe Dark Knight Returns with David Bowie or Michael Keaton as Old Joker.

That's as close as we could get. Dude was too spot on.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:30 am »

Maybe Dark Knight Returns with David Bowie or Michael Keaton as Old Joker.
That's the conclusion some friends and I came too after seeing it, as in Dark Knight returns (or something in the same vein) is the logical next movie in this universe. The villian really makes the film and I can't think of a Batman villian that would work as well in Nolan's universe (Penguin or Catwoman seem most likely but Penguin couldn't have the same interplay with batman that joker has and catwoman couldn't be as threatening). It also kind of works in that Dark Knight completes what batman begins started and brings the franchise up to the status quo most people are familiar with so jumping ahead in time and tearing it down again seems almost more logical than just making another movie that's now basically in the same world we've seen a bunch of times before.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:40 am »

I know Bale has expressed supreme vitriol at the idea of having a Robin involved in these films. Trouble is, he, Nolan, and Oldman (and Caine?) are under contract for a third film in this series-- who the hell can they use as the villains? Joker's the only one strong enough to be the sole villain (Begins had Ra's and Scarecrow), and Burton used Penguin plus Catwoman in Returns (which I hated), and none of the rest are as famous, popular, or strong.

So here's what I'm guessing, spoiler'd. [SPOILER]Harley Quinn tries to break Joker out of Arkham but kills him in the effort, freeing Penguin and ...Two-Face. Yeah, Dent had a funeral but this is the movies, people, and it could make sense that Dent didn't die. The three of them conspire to kill the bat: Harley Quinn and Two-Face for revenge, Penguin for profit.[/SPOILER]

edit: Doc you posted while I was typing, and I kind of agree. Also, somebody hinted at the Riddler in the next one but I just can't see it.

HIDDEN BONUS CASTING GUESSES:
Harley Quinn: Amy Adams or Sarah Polley
Penguin: Adrien Brody
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up