Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Knight anyone?  (Read 13233 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 08:39:58 am »

Semi Spoilers for TDK (but if you care you probably saw it already):

I was expecting Two Face to be the villian of the third but now I feel if they just go 'just kidding' and bring him back it would really cheapen the ending of TDK. My problem with either Harley Quinn or the Riddler is that it would be hard not to make them feel like Joker-lite.

Although if they had the guts to take the Riddler and just make it all cat and penis without a necessarily a big showy action sequence finale that could work. Apparently the riddler's real name (which I can't remember just now) is mentioned in the movie as one of Waynecorp's new hires.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:22:18 am »

Riddler is Edward Nigma. And they can't have a batman movie without a big showy action sequence. That'd be box office suicide.

Part of the challenge Batman would face would be to keep Two-Face from sullying Dent's reputation.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 09:39:16 am »

I knew Nigma, but that wasn't the name mentioned in the movie. Wikipedia tells me is one of his aliases is Nashton which sounds right.

I'd still be uneasy about the two-face thing, it would just feel a cheap tease since they didn't even hint he was still alive at the end.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 01:47:14 pm »

I'm so happy they finally got Batman's universe right (Gordon now is a real cop hooray!) that I don't even care about a sequel. But we all like speculation, and I have to say I was thinking about how well Nolan could handle a gritty horror movie. Because - Clayface and Man-bat, man...

(Of course this would derail the thing with the lofty themes and morality shenanigans that they're so fond of. On the other hand you could have something along the lines of "the human side" winning over the beast...)

Only difficulty was that most of the people I talked to made it sound like a fuckin' religious experience and so... like... when it's only a really really good movie.

Yes (although to Batman fans like me it was very close to a religious experience*, but that's our excuse. All the time I was in the theater, it felt like I was being benignly raped, if this makes sense). All the critics and casual moviegoers that wouldn't give two shits about Batman normally, treating the film like manna from heaven really got on my nerves (for instance, a critic saying that the movie "went where the comics didn't dare to go"). Christ...


* - I never had a religious experience, so those of you who have had one, feel free to pounce on my head.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:19:34 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 02:17:25 am »

I saw it at the first showing in the IMAX here (and took off from work the next day - contributing to that national lapse in productivity) and again last night.  It's the best Batman movie ever.  I think the obvious villain for the next film is the Joker again, but would they re-cast it now that Ledger's dead?  Even though Ledger wasn't the first Joker, anyone else who takes the role is going to either mimic his performance or pale in comparison.

What I noticed the second time around were the little subtleties in the corners of the Joker - those sideways "WTF?" glances, the wheels spinning, just the sheer *intelligence* behind the mayhem that is way scarier than most movie villains (especially during that one video scene where he's torturing the fake Batman).

Yeah, it's such a harrowing and bleak film that I can't believe it was made by a major studio.  Bergman couldn't make a bleaker Batman film.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 02:58:55 am »

I loved the business with all the... verbal tics and lip-smacking from the scars.

And, of course, the fine tradition that the Joker would never stick to one origin story and probably is too insane to even remember the "actual" one.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 07:34:23 pm »

I was really irritated that they trotted out a lame-ass origin story early on, and then really pleased and vindicated when he told two alternate tales over the course of the film. 

I usually see these kinds of movies with Pedro, and come away feeling like I really should learn more about comic books.  This time I saw the film with a friend, and came away feeling like I know way too much about comic books.  She is fairly nerdy herself, but even she was horrified when Gordon appeared to be dead.  (Seriously?  You don't know that he becomes Commissioner later?  That is Basic Comic Knowledge, folks.) 

Also, when I saw the movie the theater was full of teenagers, and my friend and I were the only ones who laughed at:

"Sonar?  Just like a..." 
"Submarine.  Just like a submarine." 

Science. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 07:41:32 pm »

Goddamn it, the Watchmen movie was not supposed to happen until I was famous enough to play the second fatter Nite Owl.

I was also supposed to play Mark in "RENT" but... that's probably good because, like, as much as I was born to play that role as well, playing a guy in a rubber owl suit would be a lot more masculine than being in "RENT".

I know how this feels. You see, I was supposed to play Wolverine, but I was twenty years too young. Maybe in fifteen years marvel will have another another go at it, since the X-men movies sucked hoss c*ckes, but probably not, because the new Logan-centric film will probably rock.

But whatever. Seriously, though, I am Wolverine. Five-foot-three (his exact height), caucasian, dark hair and eyes, hirsute, muscular, surly. It was meant to be. Well, I  guess I can always be the most accurate Logan at Comic-Con. But that's bound to get old after a while... Kind of like this post.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 06:44:03 am »

I can always be the most accurate Logan at Comic-Con.

Was that you I saw on Sunday?

Sad thing is there's no way to confirm this.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 08:29:20 am »

dark knight @ imax tomorrow
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 02:20:44 pm »

I finally saw it, but in a regular theatre. The closest IMAX (the Air & Space Museum's Chantilly campus) charges $12/ticket and $12 for parking. Whereas two tickets at a regular theatre cost $14.

Anyway, I did really enjoy it but I almost think all the buzz set my expectations so high that I practically expected the movie to come with a free blowjob.

This might be my imagination but I swear the "here's my card" line is different in the commercial than in the movie.

I'll bite JL, why is the submarine line funny?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »

You know where engineers got the idea to use sonar/echolocation in submarines?   

Bats. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 03:27:24 pm »

You know where engineers got the idea to use sonar/echolocation in submarines?  

Bats. 

Ah. I thought it was weird he said submarine instead of bat, but I was thinking it was a callback to some other Morgan Freeman movie that I haven't seen. Like March of the Penguins. Or the Shawshank Redemption. Or really any of his movie ever.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 04:36:04 pm »

You know where engineers got the idea to use sonar/echolocation in submarines?   

Bats. 

Yes, weird that one. Then again, that's the magic of a Chris Nolan script. Just don't look too close and everything will be fine...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 07:54:11 pm »

No, that mas not me. I was not there this year.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up