Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Knight anyone?  (Read 13250 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 12:41:55 pm »

Didn't the Joker have a cell phone?  I thought he was on the phone at some point in the film?

He called the "my insides hurt" guy in the prison with a borrowed phone, I don't know what he did with it after that.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 01:51:31 pm »

He had a phone as the remote detonator for Gotham General as well.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 02:08:24 am »

Speaking of trailers and how they are bad/questionable, I believe we can all agree that the Watchmen trailer is basically like treasure, right?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 02:30:36 am »

Speaking of trailers and how they are bad/questionable, I believe we can all agree that the Watchmen trailer is basically like treasure, right?

I wonder if they're going to do a broader-audience trailer. Because this trailer was clearly meant to say, "hey people already familiar with the comic! There's a movie now!" But to somebody who had never read it the trailer was basically incomprehensible
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 05:01:10 am »

Yeah, I don't know what your average movie goer could take away from that. 'So there's a bunch of blue guys? I guess they're aliens, and there's a dude with a flamethrower, he looks like a badguy too and there's another bad guy with a mask, maybe he's the one who got all burnt in that machine at the beginning? And there's a batman rip-off, maybe it's a parody?'

I wonder if they (they being people like Zach Snyder, the creators as opposed to the suits) actually expect it to turn a profit? Just getting this made and made properly is an achievement in itself, maybe this is the big budget equivalent of the arthouse movie that no one expects to see any money on that Snyder's does his crowd pleasing blockbusters to fund.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:33:58 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:33 am »

I don't know, though.

It is waaaaaaaay too long a story than to be reasonably shrunk to a feature film length without cutting out essential plot points...

And I am very very suspect of that goddamned "Sin City" seizure-vision flicker CGI-bullshit filmmaking style.

I want to love this movie so much because I love that book so much but... I dunno.

(I am supposed to play The Owl, goddamnit.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:28 pm »

Speaking of trailers and how they are bad/questionable, I believe we can all agree that the Watchmen trailer is basically like treasure, right?

Right. I have been having fun showing it to people who don't know nothing about comics. I love how they assume that Doc Manhattan is the villain, and that they always think Nite Owl is Batman...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:36:54 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:32 pm »

I think there are already videos up that help explain things like the alternate history to people who haven't read the book. Because there's a lot of stuff the movie is going to have to gloss over to fit into 3 hours.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 12:59:29 pm »

I think there are already videos up that help explain things like the alternate history to people who haven't read the book. Because there's a lot of stuff the movie is going to have to gloss over to fit into 3 hours.

My understanding is they're going to have alternate universe news reels over the opening credits to bring people up to speed, we'll see how it works I guess.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2008, 03:34:33 pm »

I reallly liked it. But, loser that I am, I am more of a Superman fan.

Also, I LOVE movie trailers. The one for the new Star Trek movie, for example-- I almost peed my ******.

but really-- the Prisoner's Dilemma thing rubbed me the wrong way.
Because to me, what it seemed to be saying is, "the majority of people know what they need to do, but they are too chickenshit to do it. Instead, they will not act, and they will get saved by Batman."
I don't know. Maybe I'm fooling myself. But when it's more than your own life-- when it's a bunch of innocent children and families-- you lose your high moral standards or nonviolence or whatever and you do whatever it takes to save those people. Saving half of the lives is better than none, and you only have control of your own switch. So you switch it.
That is what I was thinking, anyway.

Maybe you're willing to sacrifice yourself for your morals. Fine. But you don't sacrifice other people's children.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:04:27 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2008, 04:26:02 pm »

Of course you're assuming that the remotes really were controlling the opposite ships, which, knowing the Joker, I doubt.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 04:44:27 pm »

yeah, I thought about that a lot. But it seems like the most breakdown of society would be caused by broadly showing that some random citizens were willing to kill than... just killing them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2008, 05:21:18 pm »

Of course you're assuming that the remotes really were controlling the opposite ships, which, knowing the Joker, I doubt.

Fantastic. That really hadn't occurred to me, even after seeing how the Joker sent Batman to save the "wrong" person after the interrogation scene. It would have been bloody delicious to see this happen, and it would have sunk/elevated the already sadistic "social experiment" to another level of cruelty/"education".
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2008, 05:34:14 pm »

Fantastic. That really hadn't occurred to me, even after seeing how the Joker sent Batman to save the "wrong" person after the interrogation scene. It would have been bloody delicious to see this happen, and it would have sunk/elevated the already sadistic "social experiment" to another level of cruelty/"education".

If I may quote a great man, "just when you think you have all the answers I change the questions!"
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight anyone?
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2008, 07:04:31 pm »

Better but not necessarily as applicable quotes from that man:

"Would you like a pineapple? It's just like your island women, all bushy on top and round on the bottom!"

I have a sudden but very powerful urge to hit you in the face with a coconut.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up