Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Campfire-style jamz  (Read 5432 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Campfire-style jamz
« on: July 26, 2008, 04:37:55 pm »

So, I am really bad at making kids happy by playing my guitar.
If they want to listen to faked bossa-nova, they are happy. Otherwise, it's just a jukebox where they say "play the beginning of Heartbreaker!" "do that thing where you play the notes really fast! (folky-rock arpeggios)".

So, basically, can you guys suggest some good campfire-style jamz. All of the classics are represented at camp, so I would hope to find something new, or old but not played at camp.
Popular already:
"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show (this song is amazing, I love it)
lots of Dylan
lots of Dave Matthews
"Country Roads"
lots of indigo girls
"Paradise" by John Prine
lots of Dar Williams

Any ideas? I am working on learning some Carter Family songs, but they are largely too Jesusy to be OK.
I am thinking about some Sondre Lerche and Sufjan Stevens, but I am trying hard not to be the indie rock douche at camp (someone else has that title).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:33:13 pm »

I don't know what classics are represented, but...

Blackbird, Yesterday, Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles

Delia's Gone - JC

Ok, I thought I could think of more, but that's all I got right now...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:16:11 am »

Are the only people attending your camp lesbians and frat boys who think they're progressive, Nev?

The listing you've provided suggests this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:10 am »

Two words:

Johnny Cash. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:33 am »

well, see, LFM, when I was a camper here the people who work here were all leftover hippies, or wannabe hippies.
now they are just kind of a random mix of college kids. who like Dave Matthews.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:01 am »

I heard Dave Matthews today on accident.  Ugh.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:54:38 am »

Man, that's even worse than my experience, accidentally hearing "Drops of Jupiter" by... whoever... and having that stuck in my head allllll day. Better than "Crash" but... not by much.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:25:44 am »

thanks for THAT earworm, lfm
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »

Speaking of earworms:  Can we make it illegal, please, to title a movie after an Abba song and then advertise it everywhere?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:23:36 pm »

Man, that's even worse than my experience, accidentally hearing "Drops of Jupiter" by... whoever... and having that stuck in my head allllll day. Better than "Crash" but... not by much.

For years I thought that Train was a one-hit-wonder. Because the radio station I listened to in the late 90's played the crap out of Drops of Jupiter, but nothing else by that band, ever. And after about 4 months they even dropped that song. It wasn't until later while talking about one-hit-wonders with friends that I learned that the other radio stations in town indeed played many, many, many other songs by that band. They even had more than one album, apparently.

Also, DMB is annoying but damn Ants Marching is a catchy fun song. They were supposed to play a free hometown show when I was in college but the university turned them down because they knew the ticket lines would be horrendous and disrupt classes for days. But they had no problems with people spending 3 days in line to hear the Dalai Lama. At least their priorities are straight.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:55:37 pm »

Blind Melon - No Rain,
the two Blues Traveler hits,
umm, House of the Rising Sun.

ummm

some Steve Miller Band hits?
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 04:42:48 pm »

good lord, the Avett Brothers.

Oh man, so good. SO GOOD.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 01:51:01 pm »

Zombie music thread!  Whoooo!

good lord, the Avett Brothers.

Oh man, so good. SO GOOD.

I picked up "Second Gleam" off of eMusic, and thought much the same thing.  Kind of an early Iron & Wine feel, very pretty and a little melancholy.  But then I got "Mignonette," their new full-length, and it's more a straight-up bluegrass record, which is OK but not altogether my thing.  So is the bulk of their material the latter or the former?

Also, The Twilight Sad.  Scottish emo band.  Hells yes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 02:47:58 pm »

most people I know seem to think that The Second Gleam isn't at all as good as their other stuff.

Songs I suggest: Die Die Die, At the Beach, Weight of Lies, swept away.

Most people like Emotionalism the most, I believe. I haven't listened to enough beyond those songs I listed above.

But come on, one of their songs has a vocal saying "die die die, die die die die!" in a way that's so beautiful but so sad and yet happy... oh man. And when the second brother comes in at the beginning with that harmony part... oh lord. and the banjo. shit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire-style jamz
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:07 pm »

But come on, one of their songs has a vocal saying "die die die, die die die die!" in a way that's so beautiful but so sad and yet happy... oh man. And when the second brother comes in at the beginning with that harmony part... oh lord. and the banjo. shit.

The only other songs that I can think of like that are metal songs.

You should (have played) play some Yusuf Islam, I hear that guy's pretty popular for singing along. But it's kind of douchey sometimes, too.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up