Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Football 08  (Read 31581 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2008, 03:12:32 am »

Obama on college football playoffsl
I guess that falls under the executive privilege clause, or the Megalomaniac personality syndrome, either or.

It's the bully pulpit man, the bully pulpit!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2008, 04:27:56 pm »

He's right you know.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2008, 10:18:28 pm »

He's absolutely right.  Major college football is the only sport I know of, at any level, where you can win EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR GAMES and not be the champion.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2008, 03:31:25 am »

I am astonished how bad I was at pretend football this week.

ALSO: the six BCS division winners and two at-larges with a weight toward the champions of the smaller conferences for those last two.

Use the existing BCS bowls and the best of the others to rotate all through a playoff structure every seven years. Or four years and make the "other three" always have most of the first round. Whatever. Lean toward the traditional match-ups in the first round when you can.

We're at the point where the horrible BCS compromise makes it that only one bowl means something anyway, as opposed to the old one where three or four could all be a part of the title picture, you know? It ends up basically win-win.

It is not rocket science to make this work in a way where everyone still makes their goddamned money.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:13 pm »

Heading into the final week of the regular season.  Five playoff spots locked up.

The three teams tied for sixth all won, so the pressure is still on, and all three have difficult matchups this week.  Tommy Damn Tiger has a big edge in total points, which I'm quite sure is the first tiebreaker, so the spot is really theirs to lose.  They meet Modern Guilt, who are tied for second and trying to score a first-round bye.

Eggplant vs. Lab Rats, another formidable squad.  Lincoln, NE vs. the KOODGE, and holy SHIT I just noticed that Steve Slaton helped me come back and win last night, so I stay in first place.  w00t!  I don't have a first-round bye secured yet, but chances are good.

Good luck to all.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:29 pm »

he was hit in a dense muscle area I bet he was using a fully jacketed bullet, a bad choice for self defense, unsafe because of over penetration for bystanders but very fortunate for him in that the bullet didn't expand and really miff his leg up.

Will you explain this more, especially the jacketed bullet thing.

Also, I don't know if this is true, and I can't be asked to look it up, but I think the three teams tied for 6th are playing the best fantasy ball over the last five or six weeks, certainly I (lincoln, ne) have.  I have to hope Ash loses and I can beat the other dude (AW?) by 17, and win my match-up.  Either way, I started the year 0-5, so ..uh, yeah.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2008, 10:38:34 pm »

A fully jacketed bullet won't expand or deform until it hits something a lot harder than muscle tissue. It will pencil right on through and exit, generally, unless it hits something nice and hard like the pelvis. A soft point or a hollow point is designed to expand, the expansion creates a larger frontal area that both creates a larger wound channel and reduces penetration. Most human self defense designs go for this as a bullet that does not exit or exits at greatly reduced velocity is a safer option for areas with bystanders.
This leads to one of the weird things about modern war - you can be accused of a war crime for shooting an enemy soldier with a civilian hollowpoint bullet.  The fully jacketed round is considered "more humane" because a hit from one will reduce your combat effectiveness without tearing a great gaping hole in you.  On the other hand, if someone less knowledgable hears about a gunshot from a "military-style bullet", they would probably think its somehow more egregious and unnecessary.  Tactically, killing people is less efficient in modern war than disabling them.  A wounded soldier stresses the infrastucture of his army by needing medevac, treatment, and medication - not to mention the psychological impact of his wounding on his squadmates during the firefight itself.

All a long way from football, however.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »

In my other league (where I am ALSO in first place, thank you), I traded away Plaxico a few weeks ago.  Granted, the guy I got (Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart) has been hurt and only occasionally effective, but I'd have to say I got the better of that deal.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2008, 04:48:16 pm »

Is he the son of Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes?

Because, like, I always had my suspicions.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2008, 03:57:41 am »

The 'Rats and my team, down to the stretch for the points tiebreaker!

If I can squeeze, like, eight or nine more points out of my scrubs, I get the #2 bye. If I can't, I don't.

Interesting stuff!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2008, 11:01:47 am »

Well, I had a real good season after the start, but unless a carolina receiver and their defense score 29 points while a carolina running back and receiver score less than 23 24 something like that, I am done.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2008, 02:22:43 pm »

Monday morning outlook:
Tommy Damn Tiger has the best shot at the last playoff spot right now, up by 28 with Modern Guilt having two players active tonight.  Should the Guilt stage a comeback, Lincoln, NE will sneak into that spot, as they came up large against the KOODGE but not large enough to overcome the total points deficit to the Tiger.  Tasty Eggplant is down by 39 with two players active tonight; not looking good for the Egg Man.

Banana Town secures a first-round bye despite losing, thanks to Destiny's Manchild getting smoked.  If my math is correct, Modern Guilt gets the other first-round bye even if they lose this week.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2008, 10:55:08 am »

Well, all the bad things happened.  Congrats Asherdan, I would have my money on you if you could bet on fantasy sports and if I had money.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2008, 02:45:52 pm »

Playoffs round 1:
Tommy Damn Tiger vs. Destiny's Manchild
Sex Traction vs. Lab Rats
waiting in the wings:  Banana Town KOODGE and Modern Guilt

Good luck all.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Football 08
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:12 am »

I just had a look back at our '07 game and was unsurprised to see I did worse this time around.  I can lay my final loss at the wife's feet at least - she wouldn't let me adjust my roster on Sunday morning for fear of getting a bad parking spot at church.  Priorities...
I was going to put Pierre from New Orleans in for one of my tired vets at RB.  He scored 23 fantasy points to their 4 or 5, and put me ahead of Nabu to take 9th again.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up