Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, that shook the piss out of us...  (Read 4797 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:21 pm »

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:42:44 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:34:24 pm »

The ground shouldn't move. The whole point is that it's stable. Get with the program, strata.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:34:51 pm »

Note to Californians: Why don't you ALL act like Asherdan and immediately post to all your messageboards and email all your friends after an earthquake so we know you are OK? What do you think we have an Internet for?

Does everyone get to go home from work after an earthquake to check things out?  Or does your boss expect you to just make phone calls (and send email) and otherwise wait till the end of the day?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:32 pm »

Well.  That was strictly no fun.  But I called Audrey's preschool about fifteen seconds after it happened and all was well.  The dog didn't even get upset. 

So far, no reports of damage anywhere. 

Let's just keep the aftershocks down to a bare minimum and we'll call this one a wrap, okay San Andreas Fault?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:55 pm »

Note to Californians: Why don't you ALL act like Asherdan and immediately post to all your messageboards and email all your friends after an earthquake so we know you are OK? What do you think we have an Internet for?
Just a quick reminder that the state is frickin' huge.  Baalzebub could crack off the entire Southland from Fresno southwards and we'd have no idea it had happened up here in the Bay Area.  Nonetheless, I fully expect to get calls from Stacey's folks asking if we're OK.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:46:23 pm »

Speaking as someone who has never been in a earthquake it seems like it would be a fuck*ng BLAST.  I guess being inside a building being bounced around like pinball might not be so hot, but out in the open away from anything that might fall on you...  That's gotta be a rush.  Am I right?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »

When I lived in CA, I experienced zero earthquakes. However, one day walking back from class (in virginia) everything around me started to wobble and i felt like I was about to fall, for about 5 seconds. Then it stopped. I looked around and no one else was outside. I shook my head and said "no.... no fuck*ng way... I need to go back to bed for today". I was later informed of the earthquake.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:37 pm »

Oh, and the '86 one I was driving south on the 405 when everything began to wobble and the overhead signs started rocking furiously. That one wasn't fun to be out in.

I was just about to ask what the safety advice is when driving in an earthquake. I assume pulling over would be the thing to do but my understanding is they're normally quick enough that by the time you realise what's going on it's almost over.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:07:35 am »

  That's gotta be a rush.  Am I right?

Well, I've never been outside for an earthquake.  The '94 quake, when I ran for the doorway to be greeted by the sight of a wall collapsing right in front of me...no, not a rush.

Though the few seconds afterwards, when the rumbling went away and all you could hear was every car alarm in the 310 area code going off simultaneously...that was sorta cool.  Then I had to get dressed, throw on some work gloves and start hauling the bricks from the collapsed wall out of the driveway. 
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:28:06 am »

Maybe I don't want to move to California after all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:13:29 am »

Driving on a surface street, Northridge/Tarzana-ish, I didn't even feel it.

Only after I saw a bunch of people standing outside buildings, firedrill-style, did I turn on the AM radio and discover there had been an earthquake.

My girlfriend claims the apartment shook in a freaky manner but, in the end, not even a picture tilted on the wall.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:20:42 am »

I really love tornadoes.  I used to sit on my roof and watch them like 2 miles away, it was amazing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:18:07 am »

Well that one was my third - the first wasn't even in California. I was in a beach house on St. George Island on the Forgotten Coast of Florida, hung over as shit. I thought it was an aftershock of the copious amounts of booze from the night prior *zing* -- turns out it was a six point about 75 miles out in the gulf. We only felt a quiver for about 10 seconds.

The second one I was sober for: some weeknight last August, about 1 AM. I was standing at the toilet preparing to visit the greatest nation when all of a sudden everything started shaking. I managed to stay my visit until afterward, walk back to the bedroom to a startled wife and confused pair of dogs, and say "what?" I think it was like a 4, up in the valley.

Today's, wow. Completely different. I work halfway up a 14 story building built about 13 years ago. First it sounded like a six hundred pound ape running down the hallway upstairs, then the building shook and wobbled about 10 seconds, then little tickles of shakiness kept up for another 30 seconds. We were 30 miles away from the epicenter, no damage whatsoever. The missus lost power a mere dozen blocks away, and I was in mild enough shock to walk down the emergency exit and wolf down a smoke.

Moving to L.A. was the stupidest mistake I've ever made, and it's got barely anything to do with the quakes. Yeah, I love the weather but the people are almost as insane as the real estate prices. I can't wait for the next year to pass so that I can get back to Atlanta with all its humidity, mosquitos, sizable yards, barbecue, integration, and affordable homes. My friends are there. It's home. This ain't.


I mean four hundred dollars for a damn pair of jeans! come the fuck on, assholes.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:53 pm »

Maybe I don't want to move to California after all.

Yes, you do.  California's awesome.  Some people can't handle it, and those people move back to wherever-the-fuck.  You seem to be made of sterner stuff, omba.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that shook the piss out of us...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:09:00 am »

it ain't that i can't handle it, it's that i miss my friends and i don't like the crazies.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up