Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily stuff that pisses me off...  (Read 28112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 12:10:27 am »

One of my coworkers adopted a baby and left on FMLA leave for three months. She returned for three weeks, and is quitting on Friday to go to another job that she hopes is more fulfilling than ours. She is one of three people in our department who does what we do (I, obviously, am another). Last week, I wrote to my boss asking what the plan was for replacing her. She said she had no idea. I told her that I was concerned her plan would be "give him all her work." So today, she cracked jokes about that being her plan. I'm concerned that it will, in face, become her plan. The whole company is under pressure to cut costs, and not filling the position would take a decent chunk out of our budget. I love my boss, I'd take a bullet for her, but between that, the baby coming, and the financial pressure I'm under, I'm one piece of bad news away from a nervous fuck*ng breakdown.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 12:41:13 am »

One of my coworkers adopted a baby and left on FMLA leave for three months. She returned for three weeks, and is quitting on Friday to go to another job that she hopes is more fulfilling than ours. She is one of three people in our department who does what we do (I, obviously, am another). Last week, I wrote to my boss asking what the plan was for replacing her. She said she had no idea. I told her that I was concerned her plan would be "give him all her work." So today, she cracked jokes about that being her plan. I'm concerned that it will, in face, become her plan. The whole company is under pressure to cut costs, and not filling the position would take a decent chunk out of our budget. I love my boss, I'd take a bullet for her, but between that, the baby coming, and the financial pressure I'm under, I'm one piece of bad news away from a nervous fuck*ng breakdown.

Tell her you'll take on the work for a rise equal to half the departing co-worker's pay. Still a good saving there.
Was there anyone covering for her while she was on leave? Couldn't they be kept on? Or is this where the grand plan originated.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 12:45:02 am »

Tell her you'll take on the work for a rise equal to half the departing co-worker's pay. Still a good saving there.
Was there anyone covering for her while she was on leave? Couldn't they be kept on? Or is this where the grand plan originated.

Bingo... you're looking at the guy who did the covering. Me and the other guy, but he's been there forever and did a half-ass job with the parts he covered, so she won't add to his workload permanently.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 12:52:39 am »

What's the thing that's going to happen to Golfhaus at work.... SHAFT!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:10 am »

Something very similar happened with the accounting department at my work. They lost 2 or 3 people, plus the CFO and naturally only the CFO was replaced. So everybody else started sandbagging until they hired more people. Although that couldn't work at all with just 2 people.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 06:38:33 am »

In the past year, five people have left* the team I am on, and I have been the only person hired to replace them, even though our "head count" technically would allow for at least two more.  Reading the writing on the wall, I may very well be the last person hired to work on my project, which is kind of disheartening.  As soon as our clients figure out the company's cut our product off, they'll be gone.

I love my job, but it is complex and I'm still trying to get the hang of keeping up a normal pace, much less one that is five times as efficient as one person.  Given that there are eight of us total now in a position that used to keep 25 busy... it's tough not to think about it.

Oh yeah, the reason I haven't posted here in like 2 weeks is because we're not moving our upcoming release date, despite the fact that there is no physical product to cause problems.  Half the team, two weeks cut from the schedule, and we get to "just figure out a way to make it work."  I LOVE self-actualization!

*Three went to other companies, two were moved up to management to replace other people who left.  Other teams at our company have been hit even worse.  Sometimes I wonder if upper management has ever wondered why they can't keep anyone any more.  Other times I'm pretty certain they don't care.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:45:21 am by Lister »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 01:31:21 am »

Still no update on what the plan is, but I did get offered the use of her car. She lives in Tennessee, and spends probably half of her work weeks in cities other than ours. She replaces tires more often than she should, not because they wear out, but because they rot from weeks at a time in a parking lot without being used. Since we're a one-car family after my car bit the dust, she asked if I would be willing to use hers on the days/weeks that she's out of town.

These are the kinds of weird things that go on in my work that make it impossible to have a "fuck this, I quit" moment. I may get a shitload of work dumped on me, but that happens in every job, especially in the tough times. Not every job has your boss say "You need a car, I need someone to drive this one. Let's solve each other's problem."

Since I won't have to carpool on these days, it works out to an hour of extra sleep for me in the morning.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »

Good Christ almighty, my job is just a big motherfuckin' bag of stupid sometimes.
 
I won't bore you with the details, except to say:  new college hires.  Holy shit.  Those of you about to graduate:  don't go to your first job and then do fuck*ng stupid things.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 03:54:16 am »

Bore us?  We live for stories of stupid people doing stupid things.  Please  bore us.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 04:08:05 am »

Good Christ almighty, my job is just a big motherfuckin' bag of stupid sometimes.
 
I won't bore you with the details, except to say:  new college hires.  Holy shit.  Those of you about to graduate:  don't go to your first job and then do fuck*ng stupid things.
Wait, so i cant do 79% of the work and pass? Thats a C+/B- job, dude, give me a break, ill make up for it at finals.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 07:04:29 am »

Ultimately, I'm just pissed off that we're living on the other side of the mirror.

Trying to pretend the last sixty years of progress didn't happen is rebellious?

The news mistakes stating all sides of an issue neutrally as "reporting" instead of... you know... finding out what's going on and saying that.

The way we're demographically defined into our own smaller and smaller worlds, leaving the shared reality ignored and exploited by whoever's cruel enough to take it.

I don't know.

It's not that the bad guys win when the good guys do nothing.

It's that the bad guys win when the good guys are all really really into their little fuck*ng side projects.

Ah. You know me. I am, like the rest of the race, prone to paranoid ramblings at night.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:46 pm »

Wait, so i cant do 79% of the work and pass? Thats a C+/B- job, dude, give me a break, ill make up for it at finals.

Wow, this explains a lot.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 07:40:48 pm »

Dear co-workers who handle documentation,

No, you don't have to spell out every acronym the first time it appears in a document.  That shit is overrated.  Please don't ask me what "SQL" stands for, just leave it as "SQL," because you will actually confuse more people if you spell it out.  And if our customers don't know what the three-letter acronym for their own agency stands for, they have bigger problems.

Thank you,
Carlos
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 12:36:16 am »

I don't understand clock radios at all. I had to comparison shop forever to find one that doesn't function as a nightlight because the damn display is so bright.

I finally found a Sangean and it turns out the radio doesn't work. It can't pick up the single most powerful station in the area unless I'm holding the antenna wire. Yet the shitty radio in my shower pulls it in just fine. Oh, and it doesn't have a battery back-up because they claim it's not necessary since it's a self-setting atomic clock. Except there's apparently no signal here. And who wants a 5-minute snooze?

Dammit, a non-shittastic clock radio should not be this hard to find.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:15 am »

I don't understand clock radios at all. I had to comparison shop forever to find one that doesn't function as a nightlight because the damn display is so bright.

Dammit, a non-shittastic clock radio should not be this hard to find.
I have a timex clock/radio/cd thing that has an orange display with a dimmer dial, so the light brightness is adjustable. It also has the "play the radio/cd for 30/45/60... minutes then turn off" sleep mode that i love.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up