Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily stuff that pisses me off...  (Read 28151 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2008, 01:21:49 am »

Dammit, a non-shittastic clock radio should not be this hard to find.

I spend half my life shopping for clock radios. They all suck. Yes, it makes it more complicated that I want one with a headphone jack and this is apparently not a normal concept. But when I find one, it often has the same problem as yours, I have to take it back because the radio doesn't work worth a damn.

And yet the Technical Staff uses the one that we have had for like twenty years and it's fine. I think this is one of those things that really has gone downhill over time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 04:28:09 am »

And yet the Technical Staff uses the one that we have had for like twenty years and it's fine. I think this is one of those things that really has gone downhill over time.

Mine has to be at least twenty years old and it's still going strong. It might have the best radio reception in the house. No headphone jack though. Cort, maybe you should be checking out thrift shops.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 04:35:25 am »

This is the one i have with dimmer, multiple alarms, radio, CD, and nature/white noise settings: http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Timex-T300
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2008, 04:39:31 am »

I have a little atomic alarm clock my brother got me from some Sharper Image style store. The light only comes on if you touch the face panel, it shows the temperature (which is great because our thermostat's display is out of wack), and it makes a horrible beeping noise that always wakes me up.

Other best bedside item: a lamp that turns on and off when you touch it. I've wanted one since I saw one at my grandmother's house when I was a kid, and it is just as great as I imagined.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 04:51:22 am »

Now I'm hoping Wombat doesn't inadvertently strangle herself at night.  How could you possibly sleep with headphones on?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 05:27:51 am »

Answer: Good podcast, tired person.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 05:37:47 am »

First to answer the headphones question.  I used to sleep with the headphones on until I lost my ipod.

I too have had a lot of shitty clock radios, but the one I have now is great.  I don't know if Cort would be bugged by the brightness of the display (probably), but it has great radio reception and two alarms.  No brand on it though.  Paid maybe $15 for it at Wal-Mart about 3 years ago.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2008, 01:01:37 pm »

I've decided to use a regular alarm clock and a separate radio we already had lying around. The clock is small enough that I can't see it over my nightstand without lifting my head. Which is perfect.

And the radio isn't like super high fidelity but considering its main jobs are to help keep me from falling back asleep after my alarm goes off and informing me of interest rate cuts at 7am sound quality isn't really a big issue.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »

I wasn't really focusing on the fidelity of the radio, but rather it's ability to focus on a station.  A talent that most clock radio's find surprisingly difficult.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »

I wasn't really focusing on the fidelity of the radio, but rather it's ability to focus on a station.  A talent that most clock radio's find surprisingly difficult.

True. Tuner drift is a bitch.

Life is hard.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2008, 04:14:59 pm »

Now I'm hoping Wombat doesn't inadvertently strangle herself at night.  How could you possibly sleep with headphones on?

Only one earbud in one ear is pretty safe.

I have lately pretty much broken myself of the habit, but I've done that before and then relapsed, so I won't buy one without the headphone jack.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 09:14:18 pm »

Dear Administrative Assistant,

It's nice that you sent out a department-wide e-mail announcing the birth of the executive vice-presidents's grandchild.  Really, I'm cool with that.  However, should the opportunity arise again, I'd prefer you do not attach a 6 MB graphic to said e-mail.  If you must pretty it up, I'm sure you could find a clip art graphic that's like 30 KB instead.

Thanks,
Carlos
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:13 am »

Jebus! I have the same problem at my work almost every morning. An email with maybe a paragraph of content will take, well, it feels like 5 minutes but it's probably more like 10 seconds, which is a long time in Outlook, to load because of some stupid fuck*ng graphic of a can of clam "chowda" with oyster crackers and all.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 07:28:13 am »

Hey boss,

Yeah, sorry I had to call in sick today. I haven't been sleeping and I'm starting to show some ill effect. It's really fine that you woke me up from my period of recovery from my exhaustion with a phone call asking me to fix some problem you caused late last night. No worries, I'm sure I'll be fine eventually.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 09:43:24 pm »

Dear Administrative Assistant,

It's nice that you sent out a department-wide e-mail announcing the birth of the executive vice-presidents's grandchild.  Really, I'm cool with that.  However, should the opportunity arise again, I'd prefer you do not attach a 6 MB graphic to said e-mail.  If you must pretty it up, I'm sure you could find a clip art graphic that's like 30 KB instead.

Thanks,
Carlos

I want very badly to offer a class to our managers on Microsoft Office basics. We have too many who would benefit. There are people who are in charge of running our stations who still alleviate their problem with the Shift key BY JUST TURNING ON THE CAPS LOCK KEY. The ones who forward pictures by plugging the camera into the USB cord, and clicking "E-Mail Image."
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up