Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily stuff that pisses me off...  (Read 28249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 03:45:23 pm »

the sinking feeling as I realize that yes, I did remember to set my clocks back, so no, I don't get to go back to sleep.

Or, rather, the realization that all of my clocks set themselves back. Which is cool, I guess.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 05:24:03 pm »

working an extra hour on Sunday because I didn't set back the clocks.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2008, 08:55:13 pm »

My team of 9, that was already too small to support our users?  Now it's a team of 5.  The others were yoinked for a new project.  They say it's just for three months, but none of us believe them.

Management has decreed that we're going to pretend they weren't yoinked, because lying to your users is a great policy.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2008, 11:35:27 pm »

Your VP is obviously related to my editor.  Seriously, if you want a story about the history of previous president's pets to run after the election - which, aside from a brief mention of the president-elect's pet status, will be entirely composed of facts that existed before the election happened - why wait till after the election is over to ask for it? It's not like we didn't know when the election would be over, right? I think we could have predicted this.

Sigh. There is a reason I didn't go to journalism school. I hate working on short deadlines. I am not sure how I ended up in this situation, at all.


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2008, 01:43:03 am »

Opening a box of a new brand of teabags and finding that they have no strings.

WTF whoever thought this was a good idea? And don't tell me it's more environmentally goddam friendly. I don't have to throw strings away but I have to use water to wash the utensil with which I remove the teabag, so neither is free.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2008, 03:08:58 am »

English teabags don't have strings.  Teabag strings is an American thing.  Most of the rest of the world doesn't even have the bag.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2008, 03:17:53 am »

Mostly I don't use bags either, actually. So when I do use a bag the whole point is to dirty nothing but the cup.

The world has adopted many other American inventions. What is wrong with these foreigners? They eat McDonald's, but don't have the sense to use teabag strings!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2008, 03:37:21 am »

I know, I know...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2008, 04:45:46 am »

Stringy teabags are the norm down here. I remember there were some stringless ones around for a while but I thing the idea was that they somehow got better circulation or something.

The latest in teabag technology of course is the bags with two sets of strings that you pull tight to wring out the bag after use, maximizing taste and minimizing unsightly tea-drip stains. The fact that this may be construed as wasteful and environmentally unsound just adds to the hedonistic joy of using them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2008, 06:37:38 am »

my mother taught me as a child that you put the bag on the spoon you used to stir the sugar in, and wrap the string around it so that it squeezes out all of the tea.
I found this brilliant, and still do.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

Most of my teabags float regardless, so I use a fork to keep them sunk anyway. For shame! i know whatever

...but really i've only just gotten into drinking tea. I'm into chai, yerba maté, earl grey (of course), and I've got a nice white tea I found. What else should I look into?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2008, 02:21:55 pm »

Stringy teabags are the norm down here. I remember there were some stringless ones around for a while but I thing the idea was that they somehow got better circulation or something.

The latest in teabag technology of course is the bags with two sets of strings that you pull tight to wring out the bag after use, maximizing taste and minimizing unsightly tea-drip stains. The fact that this may be construed as wasteful and environmentally unsound just adds to the hedonistic joy of using them.

You mean the bag divided into two parts for the better circulation? I hate to break it to you, Australia, but Lipton teabags with strings have been doing that for years. They are not mutually exclusive properties.

The two strings thing is hysterical.

Choop, this is a good place that sells lots of kinds of tea in sample sizes. Of course you want to ditch the teabags and make tea from loose leaves if you want to be serious.

http://www.uptontea.com/

If you like Earl Grey maybe try a good Darjeeling, it is similar but without the additional flavoring.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2008, 02:56:23 pm »

Watch the Good Eats episode on tea.  He explains why tea bags make sub-par tea.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:35 pm »

I fuck*ng knew this was going to descend into tea snobbery.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daily stuff that pisses me off...
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »

I fuck*ng knew this was going to descend into tea snobbery.

It's all tea-snobbery and pube shaving on this board.

Well, that and Education.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up