Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The get-together in that Chinese city  (Read 22834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 06:07:01 pm »

Plus it is legal for ladies to wear ##### in public.

This helps a lot.

During the Olympic Opening "This Isn't At All Like The Berlin Games Because We're Using Computers That They Didn't Have In 1936" Ceremonies, I loved when there was some Middle Eastern Muslim kingdom and the announcer pointed out that they had their first female athlete in the Games and... oh yeah... that's because she's the King's daughter or some such.

And I was like... yep. People. Oh man, people.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 06:51:13 pm »

Did you catch the Bahraini (?) runner all dolled up in a clerically approved sprint-burkha?  She's made it all the way to the finals, (I think) and should get bonus time for an equipment handicap.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 07:33:54 pm »

I thought she was very tastefully attired. Some of the other women in that race were practically naked.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 08:01:24 pm »

Some of the other women in that race were practically naked.

Can't have that in the Olympics, can we?



 ;)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 08:07:03 pm »

my favorite was the lady sprinter with makeup on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 08:47:49 pm »

my favorite was the lady sprinter with makeup on.

At first I thought makeup was weird but then I decided it was understandable. Did you see some of the closeups of the gymnasts? You could practically see up their noses. I'd wear makeup too if I knew they were likely to do that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 08:59:07 pm »

I sort of regretted not getting off my butt and getting my satellite system HD-ified before the Olympics.  You can bet the TV-friendly gymnasts are in HD makeup.  Its not for the folks in the stands.

Maybe I can get it done before football season starts in earnest.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 01:23:15 am »

So there IS such a thing as men's beach volleyball... we weren't sure. But they don't play it in bathing suits! They wear shirts! WTF!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 01:32:16 am »

So there IS such a thing as men's beach volleyball... we weren't sure. But they don't play it in bathing suits! They wear shirts! WTF!

Huh. I remember watching some AVP on TV back when beach volleyball was in vogue (mainly thanks to NES games) and the men rarely wore shirts. Usually just long shorts. I still remember Randy Stoklos's and Sinjin Smith's names. Although they've probably retired and become color commentators by now.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 02:05:37 am »

Well I don't know if this is some newfangled development but, I was looking at all the photos on the website to see if I should bother staying up past 11 to watch, and they all had shirts on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 02:20:34 am »

It must be an Olympics thing. Because I just googled some random AVP (pro beach volleyball) pictures (90% of which were the women) but none of the men I saw had shirts on.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2008, 03:00:18 am »

yeah, they are wearing shirts.
I did love the women's USA team playing in wet white bikins last night.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2008, 11:21:52 am »

Final Medal Table

Congratulations China, you are the Olympians of the week(s) with a massive 51 gold medals. Commiserations to the United States who were comprehensively outclassed despite doing extremely well, achieving a very respectable 36 gold medals and finishing with the most overall medals. The rest of the top 10 are as follows:

Russia, with 23 golds
Britain, with 19 golds
Germany, with 16 golds
Australia, with 14 golds
Korea, with 13 golds
Japan, with 9 golds
Italy, with 8 golds
France, with 7 golds.

Special mention to Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, the former for basically having a personal medal tally better than France, and the latter for celebrating mid-way through smashing the 100m world record. In the finest Greek tradition.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:32 pm »

I don't know about 'outclassed'. I was watching TV and they were profiling one of the synchronized swimmers. Her coach was very shocked a few weeks ago when she asked for a few days off from training. You see, she had never asked before. When they asked her why she needed the time, she told them she hadn't seen her family in twelve years.

China is the new USSR. They consider it a national priority to collect Olympic medals and so they take the promising children away from the families and basically train them full time. The above example may have been extreme but certainly sad.

I wonder what happens to the medals. I don't know what a family from some distant, rural province in China would do with such a bauble. I tend to think the Chinese government probably keeps them in a hall dedicated to whatever their ideals are. Meanwhile the athletes toil away for the good of the nation and their families remain without them and in the same situation. Poor, in the dark, and guaranteed continued happiness by their government which goes to great lengths to control every aspect of their life and the meager information they are afforded about the rest of the world.

Yeah, they got the most Gold medals. But I don't think they outclassed, outsmarted or fooled anyone.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »

I liked that Brazil got fuck-all medals at all (I don't know, one gold in ass-jiggling, one bronze in speed reading?). Maybe they'll lose interest in the whole thing come the next event... Who am I kidding, Pelé started lobbying for Brazil [Rio de Janeiro] to host the 2016 Olympics... excuse the fuck, do you have any shame at all? You're not gonna charm the ****** of the world with trained fleas, no matter how enthusiastic they look, and cute slum kids singing about how nice it is to keep your spirit while on a diet consisting of huffing glue and wet shoestrings, after China ignited a hemisphere-deafening mock-up war in the sky after building a 3rd Reich-like sports centre inside their already 3rd Reich-like capital. Well, what do I know. Maybe there'll be free blowjobs involved (you gotta work with what you have...)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:30:18 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up