Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: The get-together in that Chinese city  (Read 22795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2008, 06:15:36 pm »

It is my secret shame that although I am very Polish I have never had Peirogi. 

Gramma don't cook no more. 

I have had empanada at my MIL's house, tho, and I can do that just fine. 

What, they don't have frozen Mrs. Smiths in your crazy NC supermarkets? Buy a box and boil them sumbitches up.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2008, 06:27:34 pm »

I'll eat pierogi pan-fried but I actually prefer them boiled. Luckily it's also healthier this way, which is unusual.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2008, 06:34:28 pm »

"healthier" being a relative term. 

Potato chips fried in sunflower oil are healthier than chips fried in palm kernel oil.  So go ahead and eat the whole goddamn bag!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2008, 06:47:10 pm »

What, potatoes and cheddar cheese wrapped in a noodle isn't health food?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2008, 07:31:36 pm »

Let me check to see if they have them in the grocery store first.  But don't get your hopes up.  We can't even get real keilbasa here -- all they've got is that stank-ass Hillshire Farms crap.  Which Pedro's grandmother once presented to me, microwaved in a paper towel, as "Real Polish Ki-bassy!" 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2008, 08:05:23 pm »

Friends don't let friends buy meat in the grocery store.

GET YOU TO A MEAT STORE!

Also, if Kielbasi is a problem, seeing as how I live in an extremely Polish part of the world (still Polka Bands at parties here!) so there are actual Polish meat shops, which is the YUM plus, almost every Catholic church has old ladies making handmade pierogies for sale to raise money. Not to mention homemade pierogies at the Friday night giraffe fry during lent.

Man I'm glad I moved back just for that.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2008, 08:15:29 pm »

Yeah, we smuggle kielbasa across the border when we go visit my brother in Toledo.  Nothing like J&G's House of Meats for some good ol' fashioned sausage goodness. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2008, 08:16:43 pm »

Yeah, we smuggle kielbasa across the border when we go visit my brother in Toledo.  Nothing like J&G's House of Meats for some good ol' fashioned sausage goodness. 

Man, I am ALWAYS being accused of smuggling kielbasa. I can't figure it out.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »

Better that than be accused of smuggling Vienna sausage.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:36 pm »

Quote
OK, empanadas gets you back on the huuuuuugs list.

I occasionally yell out at Family "They're not just for Christmas!!!"

Why would Empanadas be a Christmas food??

They are yummy. But my grandma always puts weird things in them, I like really basic ones. In Chile we went to this famous empanada place where they only make cheese empanadas... they were amazing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2008, 10:32:12 pm »

hah.

I just had a moment where I thought "wait, I DO tend to eat empanadas and sopaipillas and stuff around christmastime..."
and then I realize that that is because my grandma is here at that time. OOPS!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up