Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bernie Mac is dead!  (Read 1619 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Bernie Mac is dead!
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:15:45 pm »

This comes as a bit of a surprise... apparently, he had been suffering from pneumonia lately. He was 50.

I don't know much about him, he wasn't one of my favorite comedians, but I didn't dislike him at all. There's a part of me that always feels bad when a comedian passes away. Most are crude, most are rude, many have a host of psychological issues, but at the heart of it all, the role of a stand-up is to make a group of people laugh, and that seems noble enough to me.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Bernie Mac is dead!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:29:07 pm »

Huh. I'm only familiar with him from the bigger movies he was in and generally his characters annoyed the hell out of me. He always struck me as someone who was probably a decent comic that got watered down to cliche bullshit when he got put in movies. Dude certainly had presence though.
Checking over his IMDB you certainly couldn't accuse him of not being hard working but there's not much there I'm sorry I missed. Except maybe "Lil' Pimp" if only because where else am I going to get Bernie Mac, William Shatner, Carmen Electra, Danny Bonaduce and John C. McGinley in the one movie?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Bernie Mac is dead!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:47:53 pm »

Yeah, apparently his death was announced a few days ago, and then they said, "Oh, no, never mind, he's hurtin' but he'll be okay." And then last night it happened for reals. So when people said "Hey, Bernie Mac is dead," people said, "No, that was wrong, he's okay," and it turned into a thing.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bernie Mac is dead!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16:17 am »

I liked him in movies, I did not like his comedy or television show. His stand-up fell a lot into the genre of "I'm [insert group] isn't that hilarious!"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up