Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol  (Read 7583 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08112008

Oh my word there is a Monday comic and it isn't even Monday yet.

I wish that I could be part of a group of "Saturday men".
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »

My old high school was composed entirely of Saturday Men.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:44:45 pm »

Man, I can't turn my head without seeing a depiction of dog shooting in the media. And it's always so unrealistic. Nice Pete sees a void and fills the shit out of it. Generally with corpses.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:46:54 pm »

I can only pray that my killer throws me something soaking in whiskey and some bbq.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:22:22 pm »

This one left me a little cold, I don't know maybe it's that Nice Pete being in frame meant something creepy was going to happen and now I'm getting used to him? A scary thought by itself.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:13:41 am »

I would buy a book on country etiquette. It would help when visiting the in-laws in Lynchburg. Even though they are not themselves "country folk," there are enough around to make a knowledge of their foreign ways important.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:30:28 pm »

Some days I don't have much of a sense of humor about serious things.  I read this and just thought "Yes, there's a lot of cruelty to animals out there.  It's not a rare thing at all."  I then paused to try and figure out if the comic were actually implying that the problem is especially inherent to underclass rural Americans, or if it's just about the character Nice Pete thinking his experiences are universal to the country man.  If it's the former, I actually do have a little bit of a problem with the cartoon.

It's like the other days someone said something about Michael Jackson and all I could think was how a brilliantly talented young artist was abused in his childhood and then suffered a horrifyingly public descent into mental illness late in life.  If you pause to not laugh for a minute, it's just tragic.

Aww crap.  I'm like, seven Roast Beefs today.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:54:52 pm »

I wish that I could be part of a group of "Saturday men".

I may need to spend a weekend or two in Dixie. Too much of Pete's dialogue is going over my head.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:48:05 pm »

The South is amazing.  Liberal southerners are the some of best people in the country.  And with a little practice dealing with some of the foreignness, the good old boys and country folk are rad too.

I'm from Athens, GA and Baton Rouge, so like... bias.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

 Incidentally, Nice Pete is from West Virginia which is more Appalachian than southern.  In fact, you could make the argument that WV isn't southern at all given that it seceded from Virginia during the Civil War so that it could remain in the Union.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:29:49 pm »

EDUCATION!  I did not know that Mr. West.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 04:46:22 pm »

EDUCATION!  I did not know that Mr. West.

You also didn't know that the Union was all like "Really?  You're sure you want to break away from the Old Dominion just because of this 'state's rights' jazz?  It's totally fine if you want to stay with Virginia.  Seriously.  We don't mind, and it seems like so much effort.  Please don't put yourself out on our account.  We honestly don't want to trouble you."

But West Virginia did not get the hint.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 06:33:06 pm »

Quit talking about that state. It is putting John Denver in my head.

"Rocky Mountain Hiiiiiiii-igh, in Colorado."

Better?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:38 pm »

I once worked a John Denver concert, I needed the money so badly. I was directing people to the right place backstage during the show when an old bird turned and straight up shushed me, finger to the lips and all.

John Denver. Only concert I ever been got shushed at.

Aw, that's kind of sweet.

But yeah, now let's STOP talking about it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th August 2008 - An opportunity for protocol
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »

If we keep it up will you two be leaving on jet plane?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up