Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Soul Man.  (Read 4917 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Soul Man.
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:28:25 pm »

Isaac Hayes died.
Just, damn it, y'know?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:29:20 pm »

I bet the South Park people feel like big ol' jerks now.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:41:48 am »

I bet the South Park people feel like big ol' jerks now.

I dunno, it's not like they killed him. Or like Isaac Hayes was brainwashed by an organization of pedophiles* and torn apart by a mountain lion and a bear. I'm sure they're saddened by the news, but I doubt they feel any guilt about it. I imagine the next show will have an "In Memoriam" slide at the end, probably with Chef macking some chick.

* Perhaps the only good thing I have to say about them... to my knowledge, there haven't been any reports of pedophilia coming from the CoS.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:30 am »

completely tasteless but i laughed

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 06:05:02 am »

I saw that one. Someone needs to keep an eye on big S. At least until they get that Avengers movie made.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:01:48 am »

When I first saw that picture, I thought they were holding lightsabres to mock Sam for being in "Star Wars".

Yeah. My imagination is sort of problematic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:30:05 pm »

I just read that we have Isaac Hayes to blame for disco. I am sorry, but I think he is at least going to have to spend some time in purgatory.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

He's also responsible for the Blues Brothers biggest hit. I guess that's personal preference whether helps his case or not.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:55:11 pm »

I bet the South Park people feel like big ol' jerks now.

Admitting my pop-culture lameness:  Did they kill off Chef or something?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:07:49 pm »

Admitting my pop-culture lameness:  Did they kill off Chef or something?

They did. Hayes said the show went too far when they did a show where they talked about Xenu and thetans and whatnot. The South Park people said he was being a hypocrite, since he was perfectly happy to cash his checks for shows that were just as critical of christianity.

So they did a show where all of Chef's lines were clearly dubbed in from other episodes so they could kill him off. Except at the end he was resurrected in a ##### suit that looks a lot like Darth Vader. That was two or three seasons ago, but it was the last Chef was mentioned on the show.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

"In an interview for The A.V. Club on January 4, 2006, Hayes was again asked about the episode. Hayes said that he told the creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that’s your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that shit, you know?" He then told them to take a couple of Scientology courses to understand what they do. In the interview, Hayes defended South Park's style of controversial humor, noting that he was not pleased with the show's treatment of Scientology, but conceding that he "understands what Matt and Trey are doing.""

So  where do Scientologists go when they die? And did the soul man believe his soul was trapped here by an evil space warlord from a volcano?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 04:54:34 pm »

responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 05:39:34 pm »

responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!

I'm not saying the Blues Brothers did it first/best, just that it's the song the Blues Brothers are best known for performing. Besides, I don't think they did any original material at all. Part of the concept of the characters was keeping classic blues/&c music in the mainstream.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 08:12:33 pm »

responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!

HE WROTE THE SONG FOR SAM AND DAVE. COLLABORATION WITH DAVE PORTER.

Get a grip.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Soul Man.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 10:24:43 pm »

Quote
HE WROTE THE SONG FOR SAM AND DAVE. COLLABORATION WITH DAVE PORTER.

Get a grip.

??

I know he wrote the song for sam and dave, that is what I was saying?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up