Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aphids?!  (Read 3484 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« on: November 07, 2003, 04:43:36 am »

My beautiful almost brand-new hibiscus has aphids. I'm assuming they're aphids anyway. A few of the new buds have a bunch of little black spots on them that appear to have legs on very close inspection.

So what do I do? I live in an apartment, so a good power spray with a hose is really out of the question. I cut off the buds that appeared to be completely infested to try to stop the spread, but I'm sure I've got to do more than that. Advice? Bugs in my house makes me feel ooky.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 05:22:36 am »

How about the irony of giving somebody named "Mite" information about controlling insects?

The two books I consulted suggest several insecticides including Malathion or insecticidal soap.  Since this is inside and you want to limit toxicity, I would suggest the soap, which should be available at your local Wal-Mart or Lowes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 05:26:20 am »

Reading further, instead of aphids, you may actually have...

wait for it...




Mites.

The remedy is the same, though.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 05:35:24 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
How about the irony of giving somebody named "Mite" information about controlling insects?

Would ya believe I didn't even think of that? I've had the nick so long, it's just another name to me. And I'm up waaaayyy past my bedtime.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I can break my streak of killing every plant I come in contact with.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 06:23:38 am »

If you are unsuccessful, let me know. I'll send you some dept of agriculture cleared good-god-yawl Hawaiian hibiscus. Unkillable, I think - I have hedgerows of them, 6' tall, 3' wide and a total run of probably 25'. In red and yellow.

Also, anyone wanting excellent Hawaiian coffee, roasted within 1 day of me sending out to you, let me know. This island is good for a few things. Drop me a message and we'll talk cost/shipping. Or a trade for a book or burned CD or something.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 01:38:16 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Also, anyone wanting excellent Hawaiian coffee, roasted within 1 day of me sending out to you, let me know. This island is good for a few things. Drop me a message and we'll talk cost/shipping. Or a trade for a book or burned CD or something.


Now wait a minute here. According to my two friends who used to live there (both were brats) the good stuff isn't the coffee, it's chocolate macadamia nuts. What are you trying to pull here?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 02:57:46 pm »

Hibiscus?  Coffee?  Neither is the agricultural product Hawaii is famous for in my mind.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 04:19:21 pm »

Both the Mac nuts and the coffee came to Hawaii from somewhere else.
Both are good.

Coffee is grown on every island and it's really good; getting it right when it's roasted and bagged is incredible.  Hibiscus is the state flower.

I'm not proud; I'm willing to traffic in mac nuts or coffee. Or surf gear or swim fins if the offer is good...Sorry August, for the pakalolo you are on your own.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 06:04:56 pm »

Pakalolo!  Hee!  My favorite slang term for the demon weed.

Mite: call your local garden center and see if they sell boxes of live ladybugs.  They will eat your aphids and generally keep things hunky and/or dory.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 06:21:12 pm »

Limmo has a great idea ecologically speaking....assuming that the plant isn't inside, of course (unless you just LOVE ladybugs).

For those not down with the Kine word; "paka" is the Hawaiian word for tobacco and "Lolo" is the word used for a simpleton or a crazy person.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Aphids?!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 06:25:43 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
For those not down with the Kine word; "paka" is the Hawaiian word for tobacco and "Lolo" is the word used for a simpleton or a crazy person.


Learning how to say "wacky tobacky" in another language before noon...priceless.

Now I really won't get any research done today.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Aphids?!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 08:19:55 pm »

I have a minor ladybug infestation in my house.  I much prefer the aphids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up