Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor power cord  (Read 6891 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
monitor power cord
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:49:51 am »

I got a new computer, and I dont want to get a new monitor. But my current monitor uses one of those unusual flat pin shrouded plugs that supposed to plug into the back of a computer. The new computer doesnt have one of these holes. Is this what I need? http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=3563 Or was there some kind of special transformer in the computer for the monitor? Why do some monitors have this odd plug?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:11:50 am »

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the item you linked to is basically an extension cord. It's a standard 3-prong on both ends.

Most monitors need a cable with 3 flatter holes on the female and and a standard 3-prong on the male end. Like this.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 03:16:44 am »

yes I need specifically that cable, why did you link to a picture and not a way for me to buy it, cmon man. The only cable i have has the flat prongs on both ends. I was just unsure if it would blow up if I plugged it right into an outlet (with that new cord), or if there was a reason they specifically made this whack ass flat prong stuff.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:21:58 am »

I linked to that pic because it had that handy drawing of the female end, which in other pictures looked like a normal plug.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201007

That's the first one I saw. You can just search "power cord" on newegg.com

Computers and monitors both use this type of cord.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:28:49 am »

Also kettles.

Just a handy thing to know if you're ever at a lan party and short a few cables.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:31:30 am »

Thanks. We were about to buy a whole new monitor when I realized the cable in the back of the monitor was replaceable (on another of our monitors, the cable is attached), so that saves a couple hundo.
So this flat prong stuff is just some kind of scam or what?

(This relates to my so far only negative experience with Apple. We went to the store, and the only floor model available was being used by some kid playing games. He refused to move until we got the manager to kick him off and show us the computer. He then proceeded to talk at me for 10+ minutes about MobileMe and how we could 'sync our lives' with it. No way. I am not paying a monthly fee so Apple can help me sync my computers. My only question was if I would need an adapter to connect my old monitor to the new computer. He said yes, and told me we needed this DCI converter ($100). I told him exactly what monitor I have and he told me that yes, it would plug into the new computer, and yes we needed this hundred dollar converter. He didn't have any in stock we had to special order the bitch. We get it, it looks like some kind of alien technology and weighs 3 pounds.  10% restocking fee for that return. The actual converter I needed did in fact come with the new computer, and no, I cannot plug my monitor into it. I dont want to sound ageist,but this guy was graying and he obviously didn't know his product, and made expensive unnecessary recommendations.)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 03:35:44 am »

Also kettles.

Just a handy thing to know if you're ever at a lan party and short a few cables.

Kettles? Last I checked kettles were gas powered. Unless you're unfortunate enough to have an electric stove.


A-Cap: for a brief period some manufacturers made monitors that plugged their power supply into the computer instead of into the wall. It had the advantages of cutting down on cable clutter and having the monitor power up/down with the computer automatically. The downsides are that most computer power supplies have enough to do running the CPU, video card, sound card, fans, &c without shorting out or getting so hot that your CPU melts. Plus it never really caught on, so the cables and computers you need for that kind of set up aren't super common. As you just found out.

edit: the prongs are actually an international standard. That's why you can find the kind of cable you need at New Egg for as little as $3.99. Anybody can make a cable with these prongs and know that it will work on any monitor or desktop. Try replacing your cell phone charger, which almost certainly has a proprietary connector of some kind, for less than $25. The weird prong also prevent people from using incorrect extension cables accidentally, like the one you linked to above, that might actually start a fire because the internal wiring isn't set up for this use (I think there's some kind of AC/DC conversion going on, but I'm no electrian).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:41:51 am by CortJstr »
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:44:55 am »

yeah, I figured it was to prevent people from plugging a microwave into the back of their computer or something.

Re: Proprietary plugs -
If I were to be a manufacturer of electronics I'd make cables so bizarre and patented that no one would be able to reproduce them, then charge an outrageous amount for new cables. Sony does stuff like this, and it is for that reason I do not buy Sony products. Come to think of it, so does Apple with batteries. Apple laptop batteries suck. Even on the apple shop webpage, they get 2 star ratings TOP. I've had my macbook pro for a year now and the battery health is at 40%.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 07:31:10 am »

a-cap: yes, you could use a LAMP setup: linux, apache, mysql, php; get a dynamic DNS service to route requests to that box; and configure your router to allow incoming requests to that box on port 80.

there should be guides all over the google tubes about this, i wish you luck.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:18 am »

Cort knows everything about computers, but he's never seen a electric teakettle or heard of popovers. These kids today. What is wrong with our education system?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:37:41 pm »

I remember back in the day I ran a simple program that let me use my Windows95 box as a simple FTP server without interfering with normal usage. This was right before Napster so I used it to share my mp3 directories with my friends.

One thing you'll probably have to worry about is setting up a static DNS address, as most ISPs use dynamic address unless you pay for an upgrade to static. Check out FreeDNS, which can handle the dynamic to static DNS bridge for you.

Electric teakettle? You mean like that stock-warmer/hard-boiled-egg-cooker that Alton uses?

I still have never seen nor heard of popovers outside of that one episode of Good Eats.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:38:44 pm »

Alton boils eggs in an electric teakettle? I've never seen that so I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. Is Good Eats still on? They moved the time and I lost track of it.



Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »

Yeah. I think he puts the eggs in cold then starts a timer for like 15 minutes after the switch flips off. I didn't pay too much attention because who has an electric teakettle?

It's on weekdays at 8 and 8:30, I think. I'm pretty sure new ones are on Wednesdays. But I record everything so I don't pay much attention to when shows actually air.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:35:46 pm »

Every place I ever visited in England used an electric teakettle.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: monitor power cord
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »

Wait, are there non-electric coffee makers?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up