Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR  (Read 15250 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« on: November 05, 2003, 05:01:03 pm »


« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:32:17 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 05:38:26 pm »

Man, I can't wait to see the third Lord of the Rings film.  It may end up being the only good movie I see this year (hopefully it'll be good).

V-Adore

  • Guest
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 06:51:21 pm »

I am trying to keep my hopes suitably low for "Return of the King," in the hopes that I will be pleasantly surprised. That said, if I happen to be near a theater doing it (plausible) and can get some friends to come with me (almost certain), I could handle the LotR Movie Marathon Thing -- maybe it'd all fit together better.

Anyway, is Reloaded a mandatory watch for Revolutions? I've been assuming as much, but is there any way to manage otherwise? (i.e. "having a rabid fanboy explain what happened in Reloaded" &c.)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 08:01:55 pm »

Early reports are saying that Return of the King is the best of all three films.  I can't wait.  There's just no way it could possibly suck.  The whole WETA team is just too on top of their game, and essentially they made the film all at once, and not even in order, so there are scenes in the third one that were shot before some scenes in the first installment.

The Matrix sequels are a big letdown, but how much could you really expect?  The first film wasn't exactly Lawrence of Arabia.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 09:13:35 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
If I don't make a minithon for LotR my day is planning out to where I watch the extended/special edition DVD of Fellowship and Two Towers and then proceed down to the local Monstro-Megaplex for RotK.  As far as I'm concerned, this is what the proper use of a personal day from work consists of.

The only concern I have regarding RotK is some scuttlebutt I've caught that intimates the Scouring of the Shire and the Grey Havens sections of the book have been severely curtailed in the movie.


I heard that the re-released versions of Fellowship and TT will have the "deleted scenes" intigrated (such as the vitally important Gift of Elven Rope Scene).

But . . . but . . . that's just wrong! I remember reading RotK and thinking, "this is the climax, why are there so many pages left?" then hitting the whole Shire section.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 09:22:41 pm »

Actually, the Extended Editions of each film will see a theatrical re-release - since they extended the actual prints and not just did it digitally for the DVD.  I haven't seen the Two Towers EE yet, but I thought the Fellowship extended edition was far and away better than the theatrical edition.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 09:25:25 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Actually, the Extended Editions of each film will see a theatrical re-release - since they extended the actual prints and not just did it digitally for the DVD.  I haven't seen the Two Towers EE yet, but I thought the Fellowship extended edition was far and away better than the theatrical edition.


Sorry, that's what I meant. That the minithon is supposed to include the EE versions so there wouldn't be any advantage in that respect to watching the DVD version.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 11:18:02 pm »

There's much to be said for home theatre over public theatre - better snackage, unabashed snuggling with whomever you're watching with, pause for bathroom breaks, etc.

But I'd love to see the Extended Editions on the big ol' screen anyway.

And the Two Towers EE comes out on the 18th, but for some reason I received my pre-order two weeks early, so I have it sitting here.  I just have to find time to watch it.

I was planning on taking the day off on the 18th to watch it marathon style, but I have a lot of work to do this week, so I may have to make room on Sunday or something.

V-Adore

  • Guest
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 12:52:21 am »

I will confess to being a little irritated by the whole EE thing. Not that the extended cuts are bad -- no, it's that they're good and that some of the cuts made for the theatrical release (stuff like, oh, actually explaining who the hell Boromir is) are so retarded. I feel vaguely frustrated and gypped by the whole experience, as if I'd paid for my ticket only to get a trailer for the real movie, which of course I have to buy separately.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 04:21:14 am »

Maybe we should retitle this thread "How much I dislike The Matrix and love Lord of the Rings."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 06:07:20 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Maybe we should retitle this thread "How much I dislike The Matrix and love Lord of the Rings."


Don't get me started on my complaints about this movie.

Ok, ok, overall, I have to give it about an A-.  Visually, it's an A++.  For faithfulness to the book, it gets somewhere around a B.  Some days I give it a C+ or B- remembering the lack of Bombadil, the overemphasis of the Aragorn/Arwen storyline and the complete butchering of Faramir's character.  Other days I can consider the whole and be reasonably satisfied with the 80% or so of the story that they've faithfully reproduced.

Casting gets an A-/B+.  My only problem is with Elijah Woods.  That lil fucker looks like he's constantly about to break into tears.  Frodo wasn't such a DAMN WIMP!  It took massive cojones to do what he did.  He wasn't sittin' around wringing his hands and weeping all the time.  Frodo had some stones to him, dammit!

Everybody else I'm completely OK with. (at least so far.)

Oh God, I'm a LOTR geek.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 06:57:10 am »

I think the Lord of the Rings films are the best SF/Fantasy films since the original Star Wars Trilogy.  

Anyway, I saw Revolutions again and I'm still of the opinion that it's clever, and there's a big pun that I didn't get at first (think binary numbers, Neo being "the One" and Agent Smith being a nihilist).

So, Revolutions isn't a good film, at ALL, but it's kind of brilliant in its own way.

People I've spoken to were saying there was too much dialogue and ponderous religious imagery, but at least the action sequences were good.

I thought there were too many action sequences and not enough ponderous dialogue.

I'll say this, spoiler free: if you've read Baudrillard's "Simulacra and Simulation" then you already know how the film is going to end, as it mirrors Baudrillard's ideas of television EXACTLY.

But of course, we knew this going in.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 02:42:08 pm »

My problem with the LotR EE's is they aren't extended enough. I was very relieved to see the gift of rope scene back, but I seem to recall Sam getting a look in the magic mirror too. I just assumed it would be a deleted scene, but noooo.

I think cutting Bombadil (sp?) was a good choice. I don't think mainstream audiences could've accepted him and it's not that huge of a section to cut out.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 09:31:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My problem with the LotR EE's is they aren't extended enough. I was very relieved to see the gift of rope scene back, but I seem to recall Sam getting a look in the magic mirror too. I just assumed it would be a deleted scene, but noooo.

Fanwanky time: this bodes not particularly well for the end of RotK, because Sam's vision in the mirror is of the events leading up to the Scouring scene. The random not-filming of this material worries me.

But I don't mind the Bombadil scenes of the book got cut; it really is pretty superfluous and cuttable, truth be told. Although I'm sad that Old Man Willow was also cut in the same swoop; sure, there's no way to integrate Willow without Bombadil, but dammit, Old Man Willow scared the crap out of me as a kid and he should have been on-screen.

Fan rant... OFF.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 03:53:52 am »

YES! Tom Bombadil got the short end of it, and too bad. Because the Barrow-Wight would have been hella cool.

No Radagast the Brown, either.  No Bill Ferny in Bree, which would set up the scouring of the shire (which I doubt we see much of).

As for Movies with fightin' and stuff explodin'....It's all good, but without some on-screen boobage, it's all hollow and empty.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up